Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IN REMEMBRANCE OF CAR WASH MIKE

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I know he had several recipes other than his famous ribs, so I checked my data base and there are 17 unique recipes that I have, he shared with the BGE Forum over the years. RIP!
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Mike was a great guy and will be missed by a lot of people.He always made you feel good and would make you smile.
    Larry

lwOctober08047.jpg
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    I did not deal with Mike a lot but I learned a lot from reading his posts.
    From what I know, he started a BBQ business from his passion of
    barbequing. From what I see, he had an impact in the EGG community.

I bet where he is going, those up there will have the best BBQ.

May he rest in peace.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That's a great set!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Here's one of Mike at the 2008 Eggtoberfest.
    CWM1.jpg

I'm really going to miss Mike (Heck, I am already!). I'm going to miss all the fun we've had together the past few years.......the fun on the golf course, the cooking, schmoozing and partying, the phone calls, the good natured, and sometimes lively, 'discussions' on the forum.

This wasn't supposed to happen! It was too tragic, too sudden, too unexpected, and too early in his life. Those of us who knew him are mourning........hurting.

So long, my dear friend! Every time I see, or even think of a BGE, I'll be thinking of you........remembering! God bless you, son! Love ya', man..........
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    While I had read many of his posts, I can't really recall talking to Mike on the forum prior to Eggtoberfest 2009. While I was wandering around Eggtoberfest, I wandered by Mike's grill. I started talking to him and he interupted me to ask me if that was a K-State hat I was wearing. It was, and he immediately showed me his K-State fleece. I told him that my son had just graduated from Vet school at K-State and that I had been to Manhattan many times, and Mike was my instant buddy. Since then, we emailed each other from time to time, and spoke several times by phone about K-State. I, of course, was not the K-State fan that Mike was since I didn't go to college there,but he was always so excited talking about "Cats" football, that I never told him that I didn't know half the players he was talking about. On one of my posts on the forum last year, he signed his response "EMAW". I didn't know what he meant, but I thought it meant "email me at work". I phoned him to get his work email. He laughed and told me it meant "Every Mans a Wildcat"!
    Right after Mike opened his restaurant we spoke on the phone. I told him I was going to be flying to Lake Tahoe to help my son (that went to K-State)move back to Pennsylvania around the end of June, and that we were planning to stop at his restaurant on the drive back so he could meet my son and talk about the Wildcats. As it turned, out my son met a girl and decided to stay out there a little longer. We never made it to Mike's restaurant......
    God Bless Mike
    Eggtoberfest2009068.jpg
    Showing off the K-State spirit wear at Eggtoberfest
    Brian
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    My condolence to all. Never had the opportunity to meet Mike, but he must have been one gem of a person! May he rest in peace. Perhaps it's a gentle reminder that we're only 'visitors' on planet Earth~~
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Really great shots John, thanks. -RP
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Brian, That's a great photo TKS!!!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    :laugh: Thanks for the laugh Julie!! Of course, having no idea that went on behind the scenes makes it all the funnier! :laugh:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Oh LC you have NO IDEA! I wish I had saved the other posts... there were maybe 12-15 of them only one or two had pics but they all ran down diff rubs smoke no smoke, indirect or direct fast slow, wet or dry LOL he was determined to beat you! but only cause he knew you were good and respected you. I do remember that part of the plan involved me and a couple of bottles of wine as soon as I could get you started after the fest....
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    CWM was the one to give me the confidence on my first "low and slow". I was an accomplished griller when I bought my Egg, but had never done low temp cooking. The numerous postings and ravings about his technique led me to achieve awesome results with my first baby backs. Here's the only photo I could find of him from Eggtoberfest 2009:
    Eggtoberfest2009017.jpg

Today I cooked a couple racks of ribs in his honor, and wore a doo-rag in his memory:
    DSC_0594.jpg
    DSC_0591.jpg
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Like many of of us, I knew of Mike (aka Car Wash Mike) long before I actually met him. It was through the magic of this Forum that we learned to enjoy each other's posts, often expanding our conversations via email. He wrote that he loved reading my middle-of-the-night "Forum Checks," especially about the goings-on at the Chicken Ranch. He was fond of Rodney Dangerbird stories.

Plano Fest was special. It was a gathering that let us all relax and enjoy each other's company while cooking just for the sake of cooking.

It was here that I broke out my 30 year old decanter of JR Ewing that sat on the shelf collecting dust. It just seemed to be the right time, the right place and the right crowd to share it.

Here we are showing off the decanter. I think everyone got a sip and then it was history. It was the last time we got together and we had fun.

CarWashMikeSpringChickenWithJREwing.jpg

Rest in peace Mike. It was good knowing you and even better knowing you were my friend.

Spring "Moments To Remember" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i've got the ribs going....

couldn't find any applewood, so i'm using an apple rub....

f7dbe57c.jpg

39dcc4d0.jpg

61a48b82.jpg

67d919a6.jpg

be9d20df.jpg

5eaa9887.jpg

it's at 250 now....

64a93ff1.jpg

saucing soon.... more to come....
  • Yum Yum! Look forward to some finished shot's. If you don't mind me suggesting turn your camera to Macro setting for these close shots within 2 feet, usually a little flower symbol on most camera's. Keep posting the photos!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Thanks for posting. Nice memories.
  • I'm new around here, but i did want to add to what everyone is saying. CWM was one of my first replies to my first post (as well as many others) and for me, it was nice to have such pros welcome me. I had the pleasure to meet DOW, cookn biker, Spring Chicken/Hen, Frank from Houma, Bali, Beenie Bean and a few others at the TX eggiest and it was such a pleasure meeting everyone - putting a face to a name.

I don't post so much and my experience level is still growing, but I really feel like we have a special family around here and this is my favorite website. Thanks to all for welcoming me and contributing to such a great site.

I'm can't cook this weekend, but I did buy some ribs at Costco today and I have some DizzyDust on its way to my house for next weekend - I hope. :)

Reading everyone's post was very touching and I wish everyone all the best.
  • Post some photos when you can!
  • deepsouth
    Grillin & Chillin wrote:
    Yum Yum! Look forward to some finished shot's. If you don't mind me suggesting turn your camera to Macro setting for these close shots within 2 feet, usually a little flower symbol on most camera's. Keep posting the photos!

i'm not sure my iphone has that setting. i'll check.

here we are sauced....

ce26a87d.jpg

rain will not be a problem....

photo orientation, for some reason, is....

e3dc4fd7.jpg
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    R.I.P. Mike, we'll missya! :( I hope these posts stay up for a couple of weeks for those that may only frequent the forum on occassion but knew or knew of CWM for many years...sad sad :(
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I remember that post as well...didn't think much of it until I read Mike's response...he ripped the guy pretty good B) ...oh..and he was right! ;)
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    That's a nice story, thanks for sharing
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    These were not cooked today and they were not cooked on an Egg.There are 21 racks of babybacks on the grill and they were the BEST ribs I ever cooked and I DID use the CWM method to cook them.I thought it a fitting tribute to a friend.
    shiners003.jpg
    I miss you Friend! :(
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    These ribs look awesome.......I also cook ribs on my Pitts and Spitts cooker from time to time and also like the way they come out...I find both methods work well, the Egg is just easier
  • deepsouth
    this is my 1000th post.

they turned out perfect. hit every temp exactly....

18044504.jpg

dd57f30c.jpg

ec5ec853.jpg

ced93d16.jpg

25b9e87b.jpg

bcee4564.jpg
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    We finally got to meet Mike at Eggtoberfest 2009, but had known him through the forum for well better than a year. As most of you have experienced, it's more like getting together with an old friend, as opposed to meeting a new one. The vast majority of relationships formed here are genuine and lasting. Since the opening of Mike's restaurant, 'One Rib Short', Mike and I have spent many hours on the phone, discussing new ideas, plans, menu ideas, etc for the success of his prized restaurant. It breaks my heart that the dreams he had will not be realized. We lost a very generous, talented, and giving man.

Mike, you will be missed by too many to count!! Be at peace, and rest well Chef.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Most of my pics are in the shop with the puter guy.
    Denver afterfest.

Denverfest2009029.jpg

Denverfest2009037.jpg

I told Mike stop smiling so much...hahaha....he did

Denverfest2009041.jpg

Bottom part of his cool apron..haha

Denverfest2009046.jpg

Dew ragged for Mikey today.

007-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

Here's to Mike.
    020.jpg

I'm sure he is surrounded by his Angels, as he deserves.
    Mike will be in my thoughts forever, what a guy!
    Pretty sure he saw this.

002-1.jpg

Godspeed my friend!!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Thanks bill ;) Today we had a little North GA Eggers get-together at my place.It was planned before Mike's death,but we rearranged slightly to try to make a memorial service fitting for the "rib king" :( EgginDawg brought a couple slabs of babybacks,and I asked all that attended to wear a bandana in Mike's honor.Thanks guy's for making this tradgedy just a little more bareable :unsure: Here's a small group shot of us.........

DSC_0016.jpg

We had to cook the ribs on the small egg,but we were able to finish and sauce them in the XL :woohoo:

DSC_0070-2.jpg

Here's a tribute to our brotha Mike.........We all had a rib-bone.......We miss ya brotha Mike :(

DSC_0078.jpg
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    I know that yahoo (with the USM cap on) in the 1st pic with Mike. I gave him hell about not getting one of his ribs... He just laughed. I think he was over there to inspect what was supposed to be my beef stew, but it turned out to look like "pea soup". Lol It all turned out and we had a great time. Everytime I talked with Mike, whether at Eggtoberfest, on the phone or skype, he was always laughing and picking on one of us about something.

His FAVORITE thing to pick on me about was Donkey, the cat. He would always say that Donkey was in the dryer getting some exercise, because he knew that would get me everytime... And it did...

I will miss that guy!!!!
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    RIP Mike. Egg nation will not be the same without you.