Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IN REMEMBRANCE OF CAR WASH MIKE

Options
lowercasebill
lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Beginning Saturday, please post your pictures and remembrances of Car Wash Mike in this thread.
Beginning Sunday, if you cooked ribs in his memory, please post with the number of racks of ribs cooked in the subject line so we can easily tally the results.

1959 - 2010
PECULIAR, Mo. — Michael “Mike” McKernan, 51, of Peculiar, formerly of Wathena, Kan., died July 4, 2010.
Mike was born on June 23, 1959, in Denver, Colo., to Jerry and Nancy (Poirier) McKernan. He graduated from Wathena High School in 1977, Kansas State University in 1981 with an accounting degree. Mike owned and operated the Green Wood Car Wash in Peculiar and had just opened the One Rib Short BBQ Restaurant in Belton.
He was a faithful supporter of K-State and an avid golfer. He traveled to cooking competitions and especially enjoyed the Iron Chef and Green Eggfest Cook-Offs, often winning awards.
Mike was a member of the ATO Alumni at KSU, Belton Chamber of Commerce, and Loch Lloyd Country Club.
Mike was preceded in death by a step granddaughter, Kaleigh Grimes.
Survivors include; parents, Jerry and Nancy McKernan of Wathena, Kan.; sisters: Cheryl Cluck of Wathena, Kan.; and Sue (Mike) Welborn of Kearney, Mo.; brother, Patrick (Renee) McKernan of Seneca, Kan.; 12 nieces and nephews.
Mass: 11 a.m. Monday, July 12, St. Joseph Catholic Church in Wathena, Kan. Family will receive friends Monday morning from 9:30 a.m. until Mass time at the church.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorials to the Michael J. McKernan Alpha Tau Omega Faternity Scholarship Fund.
The body has been cremated and a private family inurnment will be held at a later.
Online condolences: www.harmanrohde.com.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    thanks bill
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    Heavenly Father
    Thank you for the life of Michael McKernan.
    Give comfort to all those who are suffering his loss.
    Help us to keep the good memories storng and to forgive all else.
    May the light of your love shine brightly upon him for forever and a day.
    Amen
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    Though I never knew CWM, I knew he was a KSU grad. and avid fan. As being a long time Cornhusker fan myself, he sure loved to post this picture everytime I ever mentioned Nebraska football:

389512298.jpg

This is how I remember CWM
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    I don't mean to jump the gun but it is offically Saturday here and I won't be able to do this from work tomorrow.

Mike is almost completely responsible for my involvement in this community. He taught me many techniques, brought me much smoking wood and sauce, and was alway available (24/7) if I had a question or just needed to talk. My heart is sad, like all members of this community, but I hope these pictures help!

Here he is as proud judge of my first Iron Eggchef competition, a competition he treasured:
    ProudJudge.jpg

Mike and Chuck at the Springield Eggfest 2009 after party:
    MikeAndChuck.jpg

Me, Mike, and Chuckles at the same event:
    MeMikeAndChuck.jpg

This was one we laughed about often...Chuck lit the wrong end of the cigar but tried to deny it...Mike had the phone pic to prove otherwise:
    WrongEnd.jpg

Here's the man cooking his famous ribs:
    FamousCWMRibs.jpg

Here's the best representation this event had!:
    SpringfieldCrew.jpg

Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, and egghead community.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Neil and I was very excited to go to the Atlanta Egg fest in 2009. not only to be at the "Mother ship" but to meet and shake hands and for me to thank so many people for their help in learning to cook on the egg! I had almost a fan book in my head of people I wanted to make sure I saw face to face. Mike was one of them.
    044.jpg
    052.jpg
    on another note.
    Mike and John (Egret) and I were planning on competing at the Iron Chef competition in Melbourn at the Sunshine fest. We were all ready for the trash talk and kicking some butt! Mike was unable to attend due to opening his new restaurant One Rib short.... we would have given Bigun and the munchkins a run for their money I am sure!
    Mike had challenged Little Chef to have a wing challenge at the after party. (I think there were some others involved but they were checking out KFC supply and if they would be able to get enough)
    Mike was really trying to come up with a good recipe to get Michele LOL we talked about every night on Skype about his wings and plating. this was the only email I saved, not sure why but was happy to find it to post.
    it was headed:

"Jules, these are for your eyes only"
    I am competing against a pro.
    Honest opinion.
    Mike
    cwm21.jpg
    cwm-1.jpg

I can not remember what the coating was or the sauces. we talked about so many.... also mike always called me "jules" no one else ever does and I will never hear that with out thinking of mike.
    As a note to Mike's family and friends who are not Eggers, my husband Neil and I live in Maine and only knew Mike through the forum, till Atlanta in 2009. Like so many others on here we do not live anywhere near any other Eggers. You come to know and like and respect and care for so many people all over the world really due to this wonderful format of communication. I am so grateful and lucky to know so many of the people on here and call them friend. my heart breaks know there is one less of them walking the earth today. I hope you can wrap your minds around how many people he touched that you never even knew about. and that cared and loved him and called him friend. I wish he could have known too
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Like many people I only met Mike once - at the Plano Outlaw Gathering back in November 2009. He was of course cooking his famous ribs. This is the only shot I have of him:
    DSC_0279.jpg

Except for the group pic:
    DSC_0286.jpg

Despite only meeting him in person only once, he helped me many times on the Forum, though emails and on phone calls. He talked me though my first BB rib cook which was for an important event. He was great help when I was trying to practice spares for my first competition. He was proud to have outscored Johnny Trigg the only time he officially competed.

As others have said, he was one of the most giving members of this Forum and will be sorely missed.

I hate I won't be able to cook ribs today, as I am on call and am heading in to work shortly. I DID cook 3 racks of CWM baby backs on Monday, July 5th, if that counts a little.

RIP my friend......
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Met Mike twice at Eggtoberfests, it was enough to develop a close friendship, he was that type of special person. Both times he was cooking right in front of me, call it destiny or luck he was always close. Rest in peace Mike.

DSCN5648-1.jpg

101_2471.jpg

DSCN5622.jpg

DSC05788.jpg

& to me one of the best.........."The two Mikes" (Someone else took this one)

100_3570.jpg
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    2008 Eggtoberfest
    IMG_2023800x600-1.jpg

Focused
    IMG_20281800x600.jpg
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning All:

Below is a prayer EggHatter wrote when a friend of ours passed away in 1996 and it comes to mine for Mike too.

Always With You

When life has left my body
    And my soul has left it’s shell
    I know that you will show
    That I was loved very well.

You will dress it in my best
    And arrange it lovingly
    It will look like I am at rest
    And that is how I will be

I will be nearer to God
    Than I could ever dream
    And happier with Him
    Than I have ever been.

I know that you will miss me
    But I will be always with you
    I’m part of who you are, what you think
    And what you do.

Kathleen L. Taylor
    May 28, 1996

Mike at the Omaha EggFest 2007 waiting to start his rib class...
    P8180018.jpg

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• CVDSmokeShack
    Options
    Nice pics Beli; did not know / never met CWM... but he certainly is a legend on this forum.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Options
    This is me at OKC '08 Eggfest checking out Mikes cook, naturally baby backs.
    IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    He really is Chris, he really is!!!!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Is that when Egret burnt up all his notes for the class?? :P :woohoo: :side:
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    Hey Boxerpapa, I LOVE that! Thanks for posting it.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    I havent been on the forum for about a week, just found out and I am shocked and saddend. Springfield 2009 was my first fest and where I met Mike. He cooked some scallops at the afterparty that were PDG.
    Thanks for posting those pics BigDaddy.
    My condolences, and we will all miss you terribly Mike.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Here is Mike competing for Iron Egg Chef in 2007.

P1010170Small.jpg

Here he is getting crowned by Mollyshark.

SD2005002Small.jpg

And as Chubby said, "I'm done cooking my ribs".

P1010168Small.jpg

Goodbye my friend. -RP
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Jules:

Could be :whistle: :laugh:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• AZRP
    Options
    Yes, and stole Mike's table. -RP
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Love ya brother....
    DSC00129.jpg
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i will surely add your 3 to the total
    bill
  • AZRP
    Options
    One evening several years ago, someone posted that they found some meat in the market that was obviously miss marked way cheaper than it should have been. Then the poster bragged about how the young cashier didn't even notice that it was miss marked and what a great deal he got. Well Mike, coming from a grocer background, came unglued and ripped this guy up one side then down the other. I'll never forget, about a half hour later he posted, "I'm not through yet!" and proceeded to rip him some more. Says a lot about the honesty and integrity of Mike. -RP
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Julie, that was one of Mike's favorite stories. He must have told me that story a hundred times...you could tell he was almost rolling on the floor with laughter each time. Thank goodness he warned me about Egret. I kept my recipe notes close at hand during the Sunshine fest! :lol: :laugh: :woohoo:
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Yep...it was "the paragon of virtue"...Citizen Q!!

You'll have to ask Max and Lawn Ranger how many times I called them and said...
    "Please, somebody talk me down before I push the post button"!!!

Mike and I had a few chats on that one for sure!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Mike was one of the first people to welcome me to the forum when I stopped lurking and finally registered. We talked once or twice a week by phone for close to a year before we ever met in person his saying always when I answered the phone was "how's the poolman" loudly. We met face to face for the first time at Eggtoberfest in 2008 where he asked me to be his sous chef where I found out that meant gopher :laugh:

Eggtoberfest 2008

Mike working
    101_2471.jpg

20 minute nap before the spritz

101_2449-1.jpg

One of my favorites was Eggtoberfest 2009 with Mike and Poot,,, we had a lot of fun with this pic

100_3570.jpg

+ Rest In Peace Mike +
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    AZRP, I remember that post also :laugh: :laugh:
    I liked this picture of Mike & Spawn. I will not be able to make CWM ribs this weekend. My dad asked me over a month ago to smoke some butts for the family reunion. I was flattered. I will do ribs next weekend on the small.
    2rrrqrb.jpg
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Remember it well. Mike was like a dog with a bone - wouldn't let go.

He worked him over pretty good. :)

So good that he went back and told the store manager what happened. :)
  • AZRP
    Options
    LOL, I had never heard that part of it. -RP
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Yes, yes that was at the Omaha fest where Mike's rib notes mysteriously disappeared! Well..........what was I supposed to start my fire with?! :laugh: OK, Randy......he had plenty of table space left.....well, I figured he didn't need much!!? And, as far as using all his rubs up.......he didn't have that many to start with! :ohmy:
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    DaRoyal2004109.jpg

Here are a few photos of Mike from when he came to visit the team at the American Royal in Kansas City 2004 and 2005.
    Always smiling and just happy to be around friends and bbq.

DaRoyal2004101.jpg

Sept262005045.jpg

I was always envious of his penchant to wear party shirts that were louder than my party shirts....

This particular work of art is classic Carwash Mike.

DaRoyal2004100.jpg

This one aint too shabby either....

Sept262005073.jpg

And one with the Dizzy Pigs.

Sept262005070.jpg

Rest well, CWM.

john
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Denverfest 2009 Afterparty

He really was glad his parents came to the Eggfest. Here Mikey is with his mom, Nancy. That other "character" is Mr. Popsicle, Zefrin, his golfing buddy B)

P8290637.jpg