Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mosture in Egg

Options
Nitro
Nitro Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Newbie here.

I just opened my Egg after a couple days and found mosture on my Cast Iron grid. That's not good. It did rain the other day. I'm wondering how water got into the Egg. I did have the top vent shut. Is that not enough?

Is it normal to get mosture in the Egg, and is it possible to combat it other than a full cover?

Thanks

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Ceramic is porous. A cover will help. The egg will take on moisture if conditions are damp.
  • Nitro
    Options
    I was hoping to not use a cover. Also, my buddy who sells Eggs said I didn't need one. I guess my other option is to remove the CI grid when not in use.

This begs the question: does anyone feel the need for a cover? And what do y'all do with your CI grids when not in use?
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    What is odd is that you could even see the CI grate. Mine always has leftover lump in it.

If you do not have a cover, I would probably be sure that I used the ceramic cover when I shutdown the Egg and not worry about it.

I use a cover, but it is more about protecting the table than the Egg. Also, where I live it freezes and I do not want the lid to freeze to the base.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    I don't trust the top vent for keeping water out. Besides that it can rust. Use the ceramic top. All that being said a little moisture really won't hurt. The egg is tough.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    He's not talking about the charcoal grate, but the cooking one.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Unless the CI cooking grate is new, it should be protected by what is basically cooked on oil -- just like a CI skillet.

Google cast iron skillet seasoning. You do not need to season a CI grate to use it, but if you do not want it to rust, it needs to be seasoned or all moisture kept off.
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Hi N.
    Me personally I treat the CI cooking grate like my CI pots and bring in house, clean and rub coat of EVOO on it and put away inside. I do it for 2 reasons, to protect from weather and because I live in stilt house on beach to protect from the salt air that rusts everything. Just MHO
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    condensation, methinks. water is getting in, but it's getting in thru the air ;)
  • Nitro
    Options
    Yes I'm talking about the cooking grate. It is new, but I have the seasoning started. However, I can't see it being good for it to stay wet, even if well seasoned. I have about 10 pieces of Cast Iron cookwear. Skillets, DO, Wok etc, all are jet black.

I have a CI grate in my Gasser and never had a problem with mosture or rust. However, I do know if I let the grill get too hot for too long, it would start to burn the seasoning off. I may have to rethink leaving the CI grate in the Egg when not in use.

Thanks for the input.
  • Nitro
    Options
    I'm not worried about the Egg, I'm worried about the CI grate. However, I will start using the Rain Cap. I can see a little rust forming on the top vent already.

Now comes another question... what to do with the Top Vent when not in use? :laugh:
  • Unknown
    Options
    I just put the adjustable metal cap inside the egg and put the porcelin cap on top to snuff out the fire. This protects the metal and keeps out the moisture. Bucky Buckshot
  • kricks
    Options
    I put in my table of course! :)

pic100.jpg
  • Nitro
    Options
    Good looking table you got there Kevin ;)
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Options
    Marlin is eggactly correct. Place your DW inside the Egg. Ceramic cap on the egg. Your DW is protected from rain plus it will do a little self cleaning during shut down.
    As for your grid, don't worry too much.
    For both Grid or DW, a little veggie oil spray will help clean them up.
  • Nitro
    Options
    Speaking of Daisy Wheels... it fits kinda lose. I even had it fall off when I opened the Egg too fast. Luckly it fell on a flower bed and not the concrete.

Will it get tighter over time with built up grease etc., or will I have to open the Egg slowly everytime?
  • Marc  from IL
    Marc from IL Posts: 499
    Options
    Way to fix this problem is to egg more, LOL
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Hi K.
    That is a sweet table! What wood is that with the nice grain? Also where did you get the door handles, my wife likes those. Would like to see the plans for that table. Like it better than the open design. Thanks for posting the pic.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I only use the CI Grid in my MED. It stasy in the egg at all times (unless I'm refilling lump). I have a cover for this egg and unfortunately it's been so humid here lately that even with the cover I still get moisture in the egg. I store the DFMT on the CI cooking grid and use the ceramic to snuff the fire. Lately I'll come out uncover the egg and find water on the DFMT. It is so seasoned I haven't found rust on it yet, or the CI grid for that matter.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Yes it will gunk up a little creating a tighter seal. Although I have heard of a few that use gasket material and or foil to create a filler. You are positioning the DFMT in the way described in the link below.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#dwsetting
  • kricks
    Options
    Grillin,

The table is all Cypress. The grain really popped out after I re-finished this spring. I'd messed up the first time but this time I took the whole thing down with the belt sander using 80 grit. The stain is Cabot Jarrod Brown with 3 coats of Minwax spar varnish.

You'd have laughed to see the plans. I printed out the front view page from the Naked Whiz site for his table then began doodling. The big measurement I took from there was the distance between the bottom of the egg and the top of the table. I ended up clearing the hinge mechanism by just over 1/16 of an inch.

All the other measurements were dictated by the width of the patio and the granite inset. Basically, I just crammed everything together. Here is the frame and a couple of other pics.

pic018.jpg
    pic034.jpg
    pic039.jpg
    pic099.jpg

The handles are BGE Christmas ornaments epoxied to simple wooden handles that I ground out with the belt sander.