Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new egg owner question

BG Cop
BG Cop Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, Ive heard several different ways but what is the best way to light the egg? Ive heard news paper, paper towels, fire cubes, electric, and some dude on youtube was using rubbing alcohol.

Comments

• Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Welcome to Eggland BG Cop. You have listed several ways that people use to get their eggs going. You did not list weedburner/MAPP torch. That is my preferred approach yet each of the other ways you have mentioned have their proponents. If you do a search on the forum, you will see many treads discussing this issue. If you have any questions on any of the methods, do not hesitate to ask as your fellow eggheads have a lot of experience.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Hey BG,

This is a personal preference type question and there are probably a bunch of threads out there.

But if you're looking for consensus I used cubes for a year before I broke down and bought an electric, WELL worth the 12 bucks.

Good luck,

Turkeys
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    The one method I don't hear about much on the forum is newspaper (probably creates too much ash). There are veteran eggers that use papertowels/cooking oil, starter cubes, electric, and if you like fire Mapp torches,and weedburners. Don't know if there is a "best way".

At first I was tearing paper towel into 3 strips, rolling up the strips, tying in knot and drizzling some cooking oil on them. Lately I have been using some grocery store starter cubes. Both methods seem to work fine.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    I used to use the cubes, but was attracted to the weedburner from what other eggers were saying. I bought one when they were on sale and will never go back to anything else. It's not the safest way to light the egg but it sure is fast! B)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    if you have a propane bottle from an old gasser around, hard to beat a cheap weedburner from harbor freight, mines going on 6 or 7 years now. at camp i use the papertowel with a light drizzle of cooking oil, cheap and easy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • THE LOOFTLIGHTER is my preferred method!!!!
  • The electric starter is my preferred choice. It will pay for itself in no time. Just remeber that if you have small children to keep it out of harms way once the egg is lit and you are trying to let the starter cool down.
  • Achate
    Achate Posts: 39
    I apologize in advance for my fellow eggers lack of support in answering your question correctly.

THE ONLY way to light the egg is this way: With a smile on your face and a cold adult beverage in your hand.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    If your not afraid of a few sparks, get a mapp gas torch. ;)
  • Deaneaux
    Deaneaux Posts: 45
    Plenty ways to skin this cat...research the methods that you listed in the forum, ask questions about each if needed, and you'll be arguing that "your" method is BEST in no time ;)

I personally recommend using the wax cube starters until you get the hang of the egg.

I use alcohol as a starter and will probably never use anything else.
  • Lambchops
    Lambchops Posts: 166
    I prefer electric starters.
  • I use a propane/mapp torch works fantastic!
  • smoker62
    smoker62 Posts: 80
    Mapp torch , fast and easy.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    This is how I do it. Propane weedburner from Harbor Freight.

100_0451.jpg
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    It's more of o personal preference. I use 3 starter cubes nestled good into the lump, and close the lid, bottom top vents wide open. Temp will spike from cubes, then drop. As temp rises the 2nd time, I adjust the vents about 30-50* from my target temp.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Everybody has a preference. Its a lot of what makes this forum go. Me, I used to use the chimney with newspaper. Too much ash and the egg doesn't need a chimney. Then the starter foil packets. Used a box of those but had reliability problems. Only takes once you know. Then went with starter cubes... essentially sawdust combined with parrafin. Took too long to get those going and kept running out of lighters. Thought about electric. Didn't have power handy and didn't want to mess around with a hot starter afterwards. Didn't have storage room for a weedburner but it looks like fun. So I went with this! MAPP torch! Something nice about having a 5000 degree firestarter.

pic118.jpg

Takes only a minute. Always works. As Achate noted, brings a smile to my face. And it sounds like a small jet engine!
  • Mike;
    I use a weed burner myself and will not go back to anything else!

CVD