Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

can't find applewood or cherry in missucksippi..

deepsouth
deepsouth Posts: 1,796
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
at least not in biloxi. went to three stores this morning and only could find hickory and mesquite. don't really want either of those.

i've got a homebrew club meeting tonight, so i'm not going to have time to get out to do any more looking.

looks like i'm going to have to do CWM ribs without the fruit wood.

Comments

• Academy, Cabellas, or a Bass Pro Shop will have some. Personally, I like pecan. I know there are a few pecan trees in the hood. :)

You could buy a 10# bag of pecan or oak firewood at a local store and chop off some chunks of pecan or oak. Might be difficult to find is S. Mississippi this time of year. Done that a few times. Credit Spring Chicken for that idea.
  • deepsouth
    Frank from Houma wrote:
    Academy, Cabellas, or a Bass Pro Shop will have some. Personally, I like pecan. I know there are a few pecan trees in the hood. :)

You could buy a 10# bag of pecan or oak firewood at a local store and chop off some chunks of pecan or oak. Might be difficult to find is S. Mississippi this time of year. Done that a few times. Credit Spring Chicken for that idea.

we have an academy in gulfport, too far to make it out to. we don't have either of those other places. since the storm, it seems that pecan trees are quite scarce. and yeah, it's not a good time of the year either.

i think grate grills may still carry different woods, but they are in gulfport as well.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Got any neighbors with trees that need pruning? You should ask them first though. hahaha

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• deepsouth
    Carolina Q wrote:
    Got any neighbors with trees that need pruning? You should ask them first though. hahaha

not a tree in the hood.....
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Jason,

I bought my cherry and sugar maple and other woods off of ebay..I am very pleased with the quality and size of chunks.. B)
  • NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    I have cherry and may have apple.

Do you have access to any pecan?

I'd like to trade.

A flat rate box is $4.95,
  • George (Geo on the forum) and the grate grills guys are pretty nice folks. stopped there for lunch on my way to the 2008 Eggtoberfest and had pulled pork nachos - pretty nice.
  • deepsouth
    NotabuttDave wrote:
    I have cherry and may have apple.

Do you have access to any pecan?

I'd like to trade.

A flat rate box is $4.95,

i may be able to get some of that. i'd be interested in doing that when time permits.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    If you have any local fruit orchards you can try calling them. They are usually trimming or pruning. It doesn't have to be dried.
    If you're just trying to get some wood for this weekend as a tribute to CWM you may want to talk to a local bbq joint that uses it. An understanding manager might give you a piece of fruitwood to use.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Try calling . . .

Ace Hardware of Ocean Springs
    2933 Bienville Blvd
    Ocean Springs, MS 39564

Some Ace Hardware Stores carry a selection of smoke woods. If not in stock check their web site http://www.acehardware.com/home/index.jsp. They offer free shipping to your local store.

Good luck,

Gator

• I've found all of mine at Kroger and Wal-Mart to be honest. It's all been out by the outdoor section. I'm sure you've looked at Wal-Mart, but just thought that I'd put it out there in case you haven't considered Kroger.
  • deepsouth
    thanks for all the recommendations. we don't have any kroger or BBQ joints, outside of grate grills, that i know of.

george's place is grate and they probably have it, but time is not permitting.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Jason,
    My WalMart seems to always have cherry and sometimes apple.
    Clark
  • deepsouth
    Misippi Egger wrote:
    Jason,
    My WalMart seems to always have cherry and sometimes apple.
    Clark

the walmart down here only has mesquite and i'm not even sure it's real wood.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    in a pinch you could always use the pellets or discs they sell at Walmart....just create a foil packet for them.
  • deepsouth
    crghc98 wrote:
    in a pinch you could always use the pellets or discs they sell at Walmart....just create a foil packet for them.

i didn't see anything like that. walked around for 20 minutes.
  • mikenmar
    mikenmar Posts: 32
    It's Walmart. You have to walk around for at least an hour before you find something.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    if your really desperate for cherry, you can get it at a lumberyard by the board foot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Just what I was thinking fishlessman. Even maybe a cabinet shop or a place that does millwork. Their scrap can be our gain.
  • Carolina Q
    I don't think they sell hardwoods or have cabinet shops in Biloxi. :lol:

(Sorry, Jason - couldn't resist)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• deepsouth
    Carolina Q wrote:
    I don't think they sell hardwoods or have cabinet shops in Biloxi. :lol:

(Sorry, Jason - couldn't resist)

hahahahaha. no worries. we actually do have A cabinet shop (besides lowes) and i happen to know those guys.

*stupid question alert*

cherry
    maple
    oak
    whatever else... from a cabinet shop is safe to burn in the egg (no chemicals)?
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Jason, "raw" hardwoods are just fine whether it be a limb or a board kiln dried. I use it all the time.
  • Carolina Q
    You could ask them, but as far as I know, unless THEY have applied any coatings or oils, their hardwood should be just bare wood. Except the ends of the boards which sometimes have been dipped in wax or some other goo to help prevent checking. That, I wouldn't use. :)

If I'm wrong, I apologize and hope you feel better soon! :lol:

One other thought - you might see if you can find a sawmill. Prob'ly pine only, but might be worth a phone call if you can find one.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    dont use pressure treated :laugh: the stuff they have is just kiln dried unless they have applied stains and varnish, ive seen the boards sold for smoking wood before, just cut them up deck of cards size
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I just came from Ace Hardware where they had chips and chunks of hickory, mesquite, pecan, apple and cherry. ;)

Gator

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    wanna trade for some pecan?.... i have lots of nice cherry and apple chunks.... i have sassafras and pear wood too....
  • deepsouth
    Gator Bait wrote:

I just came from Ace Hardware where they had chips and chunks of hickory, mesquite, pecan, apple and cherry. ;)

Gator

mine had a lonely dusty bag of mesquite.

he did have BIG bags of cowboy for $14.99
  • Carolina Q
    Man, you need to move north! Arkansas or somethin'. :silly:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• eagin
    eagin Posts: 15
    Depending on how soon you need it, you could always order bags of apple and cherry wood chunks from doitbest.com. 10 lb bags for $8.99. They have a ship-to-store option and their store locator shows a place in Gulfport that they can ship to.

just re-read the thread... you say Gulfport's too far... i suppose you could always have it shipped to your house.