Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First All Nighter, Still going strong......

JimboBQ
JimboBQ Posts: 197
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The egg is still cooking along.I put on a 7.25 butt last night at 9:30 eastern.At 4:30 this morning the dome temp was about 240 and the internal meat temp was 162. At 6:30 the dome temp had dropped to about 140 and the internal was 143. I guess this is normal. I just opened the daisey wheel and the bottom of the BGE and I'm off and smoking again! When should I take it off? When the internal reaches 165 to 170 degrees?
Thanks,[p]Jimbo[p]PS: Ryles, Hows your first Boston butt doing?

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...

Comments

• JimboBQ,
    If you want pulled pork, you should wait until the internal temp reaches 180-200*. When it reaches theses temps it will break down the connective tissue(there's a name for it, but it's too early and I can't remember).
    -smokeydrew

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    JimboBQ,[p]I like to take mine off at 185-190* internal. Thats the best feeling when your overnight cook goes without a hitch.[p]John
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• JimboBQ,[p]The connective tissue breaks down at around 170 degrees. You may even see a slight drop in temp on the butt, that's normal. The butt will stay around 170 for quit a while, maybe a couple of hours or more and then begin to rise again. At that point your on your way to perfection. I pull mine around 190 to 200. I cook at 215 to 220. My L&S's generally go for 18 to 24 hours depending on the size of the butts. I always cook at least two 7 to 8 pounders or more. If you go through the trouble of a low and slow you might as well take advantage of it and cook some for a rainy day. Pulled pork freezes very well when vacuum packed but you can freeze it in a large ziplok buy filling the bottom of the bag and rolling it tightly and sealing it with as little air in it as possible.[p]Enjoy your efforts and have a good day,[p]Semper Fi,[p]MC
  • JimboBQ,
    My first overnighter went very well. I put the 7 pound butt on at 9:50pm easter. Stabilized at 250. Woke up around 3am for a nature call and the temp had gone up to 270. I choked her down a bit and when my wife woke up at 7am it was steady at 250. I got up around 9:30 (my day to sleep in) the meat was at 190 and the dome had crept up to 270 again. I added some wood chips and decided to let her finish at the higer temp. Probably going to pull it off soon. Wrap in foil for a few hours before pulling???

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Ryles,[p]It's 1:20pm and the butt is at 190 degrees. I think I'll wrap her up in foil for a couple of hours and keep the temp at about 2:40, where it is. If I can get signed up on Photobucket.com and figure out how to post a pic., I'll post it. It looks real good especially with that bacon pinned to it![p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • JimboBQ,
    I pulled mine at about 10:30 with meat temp at 195. Wrapped it in foil. It's 1:30pm and I'm getting ready to pull it.