Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged Beef - flavor??

Geoduck
Geoduck Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm intrigued by all the recent posts on dry aged beef, however, I have no idea of the FLAVOR you are after.
Many years ago in a fancy schmancy French restaurant in Montreal I had what was called "well-aged" beef and the taste was so horrible that I couldn’t eat it - I remember it as “rotten.” I thought “If this is how the rich eat, they can keep it!” It is, of course, possible that I really did get a piece of meat that was past its prime or maybe my tastes are just too simple for this stuff. Can you help me overcome my fear of tryin this stuff? It sounds sooooo good in the posts.
Susan

Comments

• Hi G
    Before investing in prime meat, and the bags, machines etc to Dry Age yourself, I suggest you check local steak houses for an upscale place to try it for dinner to decide if you like it or not. Or order from Omaha Steaks and cook at home. It is an acquired taste that I personally love.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Geoduck, check out the butchers in your town to see who sells them. I have 2 here in my town, and I have purchased from both. They cost approx. $6-7 per lb. more than regular steak, so it's not going to cost anywhere near as much as in a fine restaurant. I think I paid $16.99 a lb. for dry aged bone in ribeye, and it weighed just over a lb. It smelled normal to the nose, but when I egged it to 125 degrees internal, it was fabulous. It is a richer flavor and the texture was perfect, and only needed S & P seasoning beforehand.

I'll try to find a picture for you.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Here is a boneless ribeye. I think this one was $16.

P4042643.jpg

P4042646.jpg

Where do you live? There are many helpful people here that might know where they sell these steaks near you.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Geoduck
    Geoduck Posts: 76
    I live in Fredericksburg VA and there is a relatively new specialty butcher shop downtown that I will check out. Also a new Wegmans. They seem to have everything else so why not dry aged beef? Trouble is my taste is all via the computer these days as I have been in the Dominican Republic since the first of March. Won't get home until after Labor Day. But boy have I been copying notes and recipes - can't wait to get home and clean the (yuck) mold out of the egg and eat, eat, eat!
    Susan
  • FYI
    Email from Omaha

Dear Friend, Thank you for contacting us. We apologize for any inconvenience. Our beef is naturally aged. It is wet aged for 21 days. This is anexacting process that unlocks the full flavor and tenderness of fine beef.This information is not on our website. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us viaemail or by phone at 1-800-329-6500. Sincerely,Julie DavisOmaha Steaks Customer Care
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • yeah.

not dry aged. wet aging is ok, but meh.
    but 28 day (or more) dry aged will blow that away.

i tried calling once to find out whether the meat was prime or choice or what, and they had a standard line of "nothing but the most superior... " blah blah blah
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    I'd like to know what grade of beef Omaha Steaks sells. When I called them on the phone I was given the run around, being told it's the best they can get. I asked what grade, and again they said to me the best, and it varies, but still the best. I don't see any grade listed in their web site information.
    Thank you
    PattyO
  • ezactly. you'll never get a grade...

it's hugely overpriced
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    regardless of the grade - I go by personal experience and the steaks I have received via gift certificates 3 times now have been mediocre at best! I've since convinced the gifters of "thanks, but no thank you..."

Omaha Steaks reminds me of another uber hyped product -Thompson's Water Seal!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Looks yummy !! Love your dishes too. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    agree with you there....