Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

babyback ribs

Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please do not mock me for the following question: [p]I know that regular slabs of ribs have removable membranes, but is there a removable membrane on babyback ribs?[p]Thanks,[p]Mark

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Mark Backer, who are you and what have you done with Mark Backer?

• Mark Backer,
    There is. But a lot of times when I buy singles from Hormel the membrane has already been removed.[p]CWM

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Mark Backer,
    Indeed there is a membrane, but in my experience so far with ribs of any kind, calling it "removable" is a stretch. [p]I still go through the motions, but I've had zero success in getting it to neatly peel off in a single sheet like some people describe, or even many little sheets. More like scraps here and there. I peel off what I can, and don't sweat the rest.[p]Bob

• Mark Backer,[p]there is. it's relatively easy to remove. I usually dig under with either a boning knife or my finger (usually the finger) and once you get hold, pull to either side to remove. [p]I think removing it makes a big difference on the baby backs.[p]p.s. wow, surprised to be giving YOU a suggestion. Thanks for all the help last weekend. Best Smokefest I ever did. I can't stop talking about the BGE. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of my other 2 smokers and get a couple more BGE's without risking divorce.
  • msbrennan,[p]don't be shocked, Michael. I'm an idiot. All I know I've learned from the good people here. I promise you that 99% of the folks here have forgotten more today than I know. [p]Right after I posted that about the membrane, I pulled up a baby back rib recipe and it said "remove membrane," so I deduced (rather brilliantly) that there must be one. [p]I am about to unfoil them and put them over direct for half an hour, saucing frequently. [p]Keep your fingers crossed.[p]p.s. by the way, what'd I help you with anyway?
  • yaB,
    Yeah, I just peeled 3 racks this morning. Two came off in strips, one came off in one whole sheet. Must be the pig's fault....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mark Backer,[p]suggestion for you...try the Wild Willy's #1 rub from "Smoke & Spice"... 3/4 c. paprika 1/4 c. each sugar, salt & pepper; 2T each onion powder, garlic powder, chile powder; 2t. cayenne.[p]don't sauce at all. after they're done, either brush with sauce or put sauce out for dipping. [p]I've been doing this recipe for years and people love it. It's really easy and you get the great taste of the ribs without too much sauce.