Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacing Gasket

Options
bbq boy
bbq boy Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have finally gone through my first gasket and now need to replace it. Is there anything specific that I need to do to make sure I am doing it properly and get a good seal?

Comments

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    i used the cotronics, buy it without the sticky, and use the high temp permatex, problem is you have to buy a bunch. buy three rolls and sell two.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I have two small separations in my gasket. The egg is only two weeks old so the dealer is coming to the house to replace it, under warranty. Very nice. They will take a picture to send to the manufacturer. Done.
    PattyO
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    I scorched mine off mere weeks after getting my new Egg home. That was 3 years ago, and I haven't really missed it. However, when I was recently at my local BGE retailer stocking up on some supplies, I decided to buy a new OEM gasket kit, just on the off chance that it might actually help me with a long/slow/low cook I had coming up.

I decided to *only* replace the gasket on the bottom. My dome is still gasket free. After happily cooking away gasket-free for so long, putting a new gasket on top and bottom seemed like way overkill.

Plus, if memory serves, it was the top gasket that really caused all the problems way back when with my hi-temp cook. Maybe the bottom-only gasket will survive such situations better? I guess I'll find out.

And if I do end up burning this one off, well... I still have the second half of it on my shelf should I decide I need it.

Personally, I'm still not convinced the gasket even provided any significant benefit at all. It was peer pressure that led me to buy the replacment! :laugh:

__Jason
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    if your not leaking smoke, there is no real reason to replace it. Mine has been missing for 4-5 years and has not presented a problem yet
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    Unless you are terribly concerned, I wouldn't worry about replacing it. I have replaced one on my Large but the small doesn't have one at all. They cook the same and IMHO the gasket is overrated.