Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done 2-3 butts at a time before but all have been pretty much the same size. This time my butcher gave me two 6-lb butts and one 8-lb. [p]I'm using a grid extender and stacking them. Should I put the 8-lb on top or on bottom with the 6-pounders on top? I know the dome is hotest but if I need to pull the 6-pounders off early, I don't want to unload the big one first. I anticipate about 18-20 hours on the big butt and 13.5-15 for the smaller ones.[p]Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    Don S,
    I really don't know "the answer" to your question, but such niceties won't stop me from speculating...[p]If I found myself in your situation, I'd probably just jam the two six-pound butts up against one another, pretending that they're one big butt, and put them on the top rack. The "little" eight-pounder gets the lower bunk.[p]My guess is that, if you do this, the cook times will be about the same for both levels.[p]Good luck, and let us know what you did and how it worked out.[p]Bob

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Don S:[p]Put the eight pound butt on the lower grill and as the cook nears completion monitor the internal of the butts to determine their readiness.