Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fat up or Fat down?......

Options
Msmith
Msmith Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing 4 butts, with 2 on a raised grid above the other 2. Should I cook with all of the butts fat side up or down?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    MSmith,
    I've always done them fat side up, but based on stuff I've read about butts having so much fat and collagen in them that it doesn't matter, I'd say it probably doesn't matter. Some folks even say they trim the fat in order to get more rub on the meat.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    MSmith,
    Fat up works for me.

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    MSmith,[p]I am not the expert, but since you have 4 butts, 2 up and 2 down, I would probably put the fat cap UP on those on the raised grid, and DOWN for those on the main grid. My understanding is that some folks put the fat cap down for briskets to help protect them from drying out from the heat - I would expect the same logic to apply here as well.[p]All experts please chime in and let me know if this logic is sound.[p]Cheers -[p]Mike

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Charcoal Mike:[p]No expert here, but when I cook on a ceramic cooker I put the fat down regardless of grid height for both brisket and butt. My preference is to cook elevated . . .
    [/b]