Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar question for building a table....

Options
Dex
Dex Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in the process of buying the materials to build my table. I will be using a red cedar.

I do have a question though. The lumber yard offers the red cedar that is smooth on 3 sides, and they also offer "clear red cedar" which is smooth on all sides, and has no knots at all in it. (which also cost more.)

Is anyone using the clear red cedar on their tables? I was going to use it on all the outer parts, and use the cheaper cedar (smooth on 3 sides and has knots) as my bracing that you wont see.

The clear cedar is a little thinner at 3/4" thick, but is the same width. I didn't know if having a thinner frame would matter since I will still be using 4X4 cedar post for the legs, and the thicker cedar for the bracing.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Hey Dex,

As a woodworking hobbyist I've worked with the red cedar that has knots. Sounds like you are looking at pretty good stuff and I don't see a problem with using it for the bracing. No need to use clear when it's hidden. I would suggest hand picking each piece because sometimes those knots can go through half the board or more. Make sure you take the time to select straight lumber and ensure the knots are not gigantic and I think you'll be fine.

Joel M
  • goldegger
    goldegger Posts: 4
    Options
    I used red cedar to build my table but it was rough cut on all sides. I had to plane it down before I used it. I am sure mine was not clear cedar because it had some knots in it but it was a lot cheaper than the clear cedar. I used the Naked Whiz plans with a few modifications.

DSC00369.jpg
  • Dex
    Options
    Here is the wood that I picked up. The Clear Cedar is even a different shade compared to the regular cut cedar.

I guess my only concern was the clear cedar was a little thinner.

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00176.jpg
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    That is a GEORGOUS table! What mods beside handle on end? What was your total build cost if you don't mind me asking?
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Clear is nice for the table top, but I guess I wouldn’t really worry too much about that if cost is an issue, but then…I like the looks of knotty wood! If cost is not an issue, the clear for the top and “Select or Better” (small tight knots) for the rest of the framing will be great.
    Here in the Northwoods we don’t have red (or what we call Western Red) cedar, but have white cedar. I have used it a lot with many out door projects including all of the siding on my house and shop.
    My table is framed with white cedar and has a top of 1”X 4”cyprise. I have no real finish on it other than a mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine. So far it has held its own for just over three years.
    I’ll see if I can find a pic, but it is nothing spectacular just functional.
  • Dex
    Options
    very nice table. Did you stain or just seal? Also, do you sand before you seal and between each coat?
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Beautiful Job!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Found a pic from early last spring.
    Again…Nothing real fancy, but it works!
    [IMG http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c232/colvinbackshop/BEEF1001a.jpg[/IMG]
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I’ll try again, but I’m not sure what is going on!!!
    BEEF1001a.jpg
  • goldegger
    Options
    The handle on the end and the copper pipe between the wheels is the only changes. The materials costs about $250 with the granite being about half the costs.
  • goldegger
    Options
    I just sealed it with clear polyurethane. The color is the natural red cedar. I did sand it lightly between coats and I put 3 coats of polyurethane on it.