Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the best way to cook a pork tenderloin?

Options
bamarob
bamarob Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have tried a number of different ways...direct, indirect, fast, slow..etc. Have not really noticed much difference in any method. Just curious to others thoughts?

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    Since that is a pretty good cut of meat with little fat, I cook direct at around 375 to 400, sometimes raised sometimes lower. I haven't tried any other methods with this as I love the outcome everytime.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I tend to prefer a bit of a slow cook on a raised grate. By slow, I mean 325-350.

I like the extra time to let it take on more smoke flavor and it does not get the outside overdone (dry)before the inside is done.

Try the Kentucky Bourbon Pork recipe in the cookbook section - it is still my favorite.
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    I, too, have tried cooking pork tenderloins every which way and concluded that there really is no difference. I've settled on cooking them relatively fast (350-400 degrees) and indirect, with a little bit of smoke. They always come out great as long as I pull them off around 140-145 degrees internal.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I am with austinegger on this, but always high direct..
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    This caught my attention as I picked up a tenderloin for tonight. It is all personal taste but after countless different ways I prefer to use my place setter with drip pan and V-rack. The tenderloin does not sit in fat and I use P.P. Pork & Veal Magic with my remote thermo to 165 and cook low & slow with BGE around 275 for a couple hours, depending on size of loin. I'll post a few photos later. Let us know how you do & post pic's if you get a chance.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    assuming we are all talking tenderloin and not loin i.e.
    2 inches or less in diameter ,. most important thing is not to over cook .. fold the thin end over and tie it so the diameter is close to the same for the whole length , pull when thinest part is 140°. if you pull when the thick part is 140-145 and rest it a good part of it will be a bit over cooked ,,, pale pink pork [in center] will be juicy and good ,,
    if you can get to an asain market try serving it with a little tonkatsu sauce.
  • RobertP
    RobertP Posts: 11
    Options
    I have not cooked one on the my two month old Egg, too busy cooking other goodies, Wings,ABT's, Ribs, Burgers, Bacon wrapped Nathans Hotdogs stuffed with cheese, But back to the subject, on my now silent three burner cooking device, I took the Pork Tenderloin, brushed on Olive oil, then put lemon pepper on it, then Cooked indirect between the two burners 15 minutes on each side, very flavorful and juicy, everyone that I have served it to brags about it, I suspect you could cook in your egg around 350 degrees indirect, for 30 minutes and check your temp, of course on the egg we know that it will be good, lol.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/components/com_simpleboard/emoticons/whistling.png
  • RobertP
    Options
    I have not cooked one on the my two month old Egg, too busy cooking other goodies, Wings,ABT's, Ribs, Burgers, Bacon wrapped Nathans Hotdogs stuffed with cheese, But back to the subject, on my now silent three burner cooking device, I took the Pork Tenderloin, brushed on Olive oil, then put lemon pepper on it, then Cooked indirect between the two burners 15 minutes on each side, very flavorful and juicy, everyone that I have served it to brags about it, I suspect you could cook in your egg around 350 degrees indirect, for 30 minutes and check your temp, of couhttp://www.eggheadforum.com/components/com_simpleboard/emoticons/whistling.pngrse on the egg we know that it will be good, lol.
  • RobertP
    Options
    I have not cooked one on the my two month old Egg, too busy cooking other goodies, Wings,ABT's, Ribs, Burgers, Bacon wrapped Nathans Hotdogs stuffed with cheese, But back to the subject, on my now silent three burner cooking device, I took the Pork Tenderloin, brushed on Olive oil, then put lemon pepper on it, then Cooked indirect between the two burners 15 minutes on each side, very flavorful and juicy, everyone that I have served it to brags about it, I suspect you could cook in your egg around 350 degrees indirect, for 30 minutes and check your temp, of couhttp://www.eggheadforum.com/components/com_simpleboard/emoticons/whistling.pngrse on the egg we know that it will be good, lol.
  • RobertP
    Options
  • RobertP
    Options
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    As long as you pull it before it's overcooked,it don't matter.They are all good. :) I like to pull at NO MORE than 140 Internal Temp.SOOOO juicey and tender. :)