Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About American Spirit BBQ

Options
Celtic Wolf
Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know there are a bunch of new people on the forum and they don't really know the history behind American Spirit BBQ, so here is your chance..

http://www.americanspiritbbq.com/wordpress/?p=28

When I get on here an beg for help it is not because I have planned an event. I get on here and beg for help because the Military has asked me to cater their event. The event is going to happen with or without me.

With me they get the catering FREE. Without me they will pay anywhere from 10-15 dollars a plate. That money does not come out of the Military's budget. It comes from the Community Services budget and that money is earmarked for support services for families.

I am not just asking for money either. I need help on-site cooking and serving.

I will find a way to do these alone and for the most part I have, but I'd like the help.

I know there are a ton of Eggheads in New Hampshire and Atlanta. The two events I have planned their are RESERVE Units. These are local people going off to defend freedom. So far I have two people from New England and one from Atlanta.

Please help anyway you can.

With our IRS status so close we have started looking at corporate sponsors, but this doesn't mean I don't need your help.

Enough of me begging today. Just ask your self "How much is my freedom worth?" The people we feed have pledged their lives to freedom.

Instead of cooking that $25.00 dry aged steak, how about cooking a $5.00 chicken and donating the difference. Our Military doesn't get food as good as we serve them or what you are eating

Comments

• Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    CW just curious how much funding does it take to do one troop cook on average? Also how many do you do per month? How many did you do last year? I may be able to secure some funding for American Spirit BBQ.
  • Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    Options
    Very well put Pete, and when you think about the cost that our servicemen and women bear such as being 1/2 way around the world in 110 deg heat, no shelter, people trying to kill you any way they can, missing thier familys, missing thier Mom or Dad and heaven forbid losing thier life---for us---
    Does that make $5-$10-$15-$20 sound like a lot.

Not to me it doesn't.

God Bless our Troops!

Thank You Pete
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Easy way to say this: Right now it cost me about $1.75 per person to cater an event. Most events average around 400-500 people.

I did 10 last year. I will more than double that this year. I am doing 6 this month and so far 3 next month. 2 in September and the biggest one Oct 1st (3800+).

More could be added as time and money allow.

When I get the 501c3 I am hoping that $1.75 will drop dramatically as I can go to Smithfield's,IPB, Sam's BJ's and Costco and ask for their help.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Also well said.
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    Thanks CW. I was just curious because, I sit on the board of a foundation that gives money to different groups. Your cause is not exactly in line with our typical donation but there are several vets on the board and I am an egghead, so... I plan to float the idea out there during our next board mtg. It will be important that your 501c3 status be in place, but I have seen from your recent posts that you are on your way. I will keep you posted.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Thank you.. They are already piling up for next year, so any help is good..