Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what is the appeal of BIG chunks of lump?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Seems every time someone raves about a brand of lump they always equate large chunks to being desirable and a measure of how good it is. When I find large chunks I take that to be a nuisance as I set them aside until I have several and then whack them with a hammer to break them up. Just stands to reason the more surfaces of lump burning then the better the fire. Do you agree or am I missing something?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Joel
    Joel Posts: 74
    Big chunks don't clog the lower air vents whereas smaller chunks do.

-Joel
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    I use the large pieces for the bottom only....I build up from there with smaller pieces and adding chunks and chips as I stack.

I use about 1/4 inch wire screen to sift out the dust and super small pieces.

When I clean out the Egg for a new burn, I sift the unused charcoal through the screen

I use everything but the dust in the bag. My waste of charcoal is nil
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I'm not talking about pea gravel size I mean the large chunks that produce the sound of CLUNK when poured vs clink clink - you know the size of two doubled fists and larger.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    I'm with you RRP...first I've NEVER had the holes clogged with lump; I always stir it up good with my hands before lighting up and I too bust a lot of large pieces into more manageable pieces. "Medium" size pieces I get, "Large" not so much. I don't want a bag of quarter sized pieces either but the more I cook the less I can truly tell between one lump and the next, net net that is...once it's lit and I'm done eating I rarely go back and say, wow, that was some great lump!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I'm with you. I whack 'em with my billy bar to bust them up.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I like larger chunks to put over the fire grate but other than that small pieces down to the size of a thumbnail are fine with me.

Large being palm size pieces. 5 to 6 inches or bigger I end up breaking up.

Larger pieces 5" and bigger seem to leave more air space in the lump bed but the burn will be shorter. Cowboy brand lump is a good example of larger pieces, thin & rectangular. People say it burns hotter but that is probably due more to the air paths left when put in the egg.

my 2¢

GG
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Would 4"D and 12"L be considered large?
    001.jpg

Set these two pieces aside to be broken down later. Could carve a tiki mask out of it?

Would a hammer or billy bar even work on this lump log? I've burned through some bags of lump, and have never came across a piece of this size. With Wicked and the Ono I tried over the weekend, I used a couple of larger pieces towards the bottom and sorted through the bag, getting smaller as I work my way up the firebox. With RO, I just dump it in.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

:) Yup, those are pretty big. I have one piece 4 or 5 inch diameter and 18 inches long, it won't fit in the large - it's a tree limb.

GG
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I don't see the big deal either. I dump and light no matter what size lump. I have even cooked with lump consisting of nothing but leftover I sifted from ash, not a piece bigger than a golfball, and most marble sized. Never had an isue with clogged holes, even once.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I don't see the big deal either. I dump and light no matter what size lump. I have even cooked with lump consisting of nothing but leftover I sifted from ash, not a piece bigger than a golfball, and most marble sized. Never had an isue with clogged holes, even once.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I am not a big fan of Wicked Good, for just that reason.
  • i think what people mean when they say the bag had "nice big chunks" is really that they were happy it wasn't filled with the chips and dist and tiny bit.

i haven't heard anyone myself that said they preferred the monster chunks. but a bag of chunks the size of a fist or half fist is always a pleasant surprise, if only it means i won't have a bag bottom filled with dust and chips
  • Marc  from IL
    Marc from IL Posts: 499
    Nothing worse then a bag half full of dime size pieces.
    I love to see big chuncks. I think they let me better control of my fire...
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    For what it's worth, when I review a brand of lump, I want to see some large pieces. Not tree trunks, but some relatively large pieces. Perhaps 10-20% of the bag. This gives you the option of placing them at the bottom of a low and slow fire to give ash a place to drop and keep the air flowing.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Ron, I'm totally with you on this! I recently bought a bag of Frontier lump from Sam's. Man it is packed with very large pieces.

I always save larger pieces to use on the very bottom of the firebox during long, low and slow, cooks. With this bag of Frontier, I didn't have many (what I deem as) "usable" sized pieces of lump.
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Ron, I'm totally with you on this! I recently bought a bag of Frontier lump from Sam's. Man it is packed with very large pieces.

I always save larger pieces to use on the very bottom of the firebox during long, low and slow, cooks. With this bag of Frontier, I didn't have many (what I deem as) "usable" sized pieces of lump.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    if i want to cook within an hour and i have some really large dense charcoal, i get a bit aggravated at how long it takes the really good stuff for low and slow to get going raging hot..... i try to keep a mix of dense large stuff and regular stuff i can fire up quicker and will burn faster.