Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Ribs/ burnt

Options
Marc  from IL
Marc from IL Posts: 499
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not sure what happed here. 275 3.5 hours. Well done burnt crust. I thing I had them sitting to high in the dome. plate setter with legs up and then raised grate bone side down.
2010-07-05194637.jpg

Comments

• Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    the crust is normal... looks more brown than black from what i can see

the "well done" reference probably means they were stiff and dried out looking, but that's normal. they need to actually cook past that until the collagen breaks down. undercooked ribs will be tough and often dried

lots of sugar in a rub will cause it to carbonize quickly. it's not really 'burnt' per se, but literally can become like charcoal.

did you have a sugary rub?
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    I did Dizzy dust then mustard then more rub.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Everything St!ke said was on the money. The only thing I would add is that I don't cook my ribs at that high of a temp. I prefer no higher than 225 grid temp. If I'm short on time I foil them for an hour to speed up the process.
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    Sounds good and thanks. I have done ribs before and they turned out fine. last time I used the vrack. I just dont do ribs often enough. I need to practice some more.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    You're doing fine. Every egg cooks different so you have to fine tune your style to each one. I have 3 BGE's and they all have their own personality.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    275 is good, you just gotta keep an eye on them. If they start getting dark after a couple hours, notch the temp down below 250 and ride it out til they are tender. Looks like you just poured a little too much heat to them for a little too long.

Nice to be able to eat your mistakes though!
    Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    You may want to check your Egg's thermometer too. I'm no expert here, but I've cooked several spare-rib cooks, 3-2-1 type of cook and regular. I keep the dome temp at 250 to 300. I've had some on the grill extender, putting some a bit higher than the legs up place setter, and then rotate every few hrs. For me, it takes my Egg 6-8 hours to get done when I cook them directly (no foil) for the entire time. But, then, maybe my thermometer is off, although I did consider that and tried to recalibrate. Haven't cooked ribs since. From your picture, if you had sugar on the rub, the dark color may be from the sugar, the amount of bone showing is less than what I see, but it's had to get the proper perspective. I think I may tend to over cook, but they seem very good, left overs are a bit dry.