Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Building Question

Options
Dex
Dex Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting ready to build a new table for my large BGE. I plan on using the Naked Whiz plans, but subbing the top for a granite counter.

My question is, the plans call for 2X4 legs. Will these be sturdy enough for the weight of the egg and granite, or do I need to upgrade to 4X4 legs?

Comments

• asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    I use 2x4 legs on my XL table, it is 78X38 with 8 12X12 concrete pavers under the egg. Just make sure you brace the legs near the bottom.

BTW: Maybe you should post this in the "Egg Table Forum"?
  • Dex
    Dex Posts: 85
    Options
    asianflava wrote:
    I use 2x4 legs on my XL table, it is 78X38 with 8 12X12 concrete pavers under the egg. Just make sure you brace the legs near the bottom.

BTW: Maybe you should post this in the "Egg Table Forum"?

Thanks for the reply. I was going to post the question there, but I have posted questions there before in the past with no answer. I just figured more people would read it here.

So far its working :P
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    assuming a low value (utility grade pine cr^p) of 875 psi in compression (parallel to the grain), each of your standard 4x4 legs (proposed) could handle about 10,000 to 11,000 pounds. four legs, that means your granite slab could weigh about 40,000 pounds and you'd be ok ;)

i'm guessing you could dial back to 2x4s and still be fine. might want to look into heavy duty casters though :)
    Options
    ...course i didn't mean the assumption was you'd use cr^ppy wood, just that even if you did, the 4x4s would be way more than you need.

you'll be fine with 2x4s. as a designer though, i might see where you would wanna go with 4x4s for fancy=pants design reasons. :laugh:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Wouldn't lateral movement be a concern? I would build a diagonal cross brace along the back...but I'm also the guy that put jack studs under his eggs. I tend to over-engineer everything I build.

And I don't know if you can find (readily available) casters that have a mounting face of 1.5"x3.5" or smaller that are also weight rated high enough to be stable.

If only we had a decent architect around here to ask such questions.
    Options
    lateral bracing is a concern for the table itself, but he was asking about the legs being strong enough to carry the stone and egg.

they won't fail by bending, or from compression, but the whole thing racking would cause the joints to fail. ;)

remember the thread a while back about diagonal bracing? a single simple diagonal wood brace would be fine, or an "x" of cables or turnbuckled rods (nothing big, maybe an 1/8th inch max)

no liability expressed or implied
  • valrune
    valrune Posts: 134
    Options
    100_1150-1.jpg
    I just doubled my 2x4's and its rock solid!
  • grillmandan
    grillmandan Posts: 270
    Options
    I build tables and I always use 2X4's laminated together to prevent warping and spliting.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    When my husband made our table he used the naked whiz plans as the starting point, but modified by making the table a little longer and using 4x4 for the legs. Personally I go with 4x4.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    2x4 are fine, they are holding your house up.