Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Juno Online Services Question

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I've heard the name 'Juno' mentioned in Internet circles for many years and at one time I think I may have actually downloaded their free email service. But I don't recall ever using Juno or recommending it to others.

So why would they suddenly send me a check for $30.00 with an attached letter saying:

"Congratulations! The person you referred to the Juno Service, x.game@juno.com has met the requirements necessary for you to earn the Refer-A-Friend bonus. Enclosed with this letter you will find a check made out in your name."

I did some brief research on Juno and discovered that it merged with Net-Zero some years ago and apparently remains a huge part of the Internet industry. I could find nothing indicating that this may be a scam of some kind. The check certainly looks genuine.

So what do you guys think? Should I walk away or enjoy the new-found cash and not worry about it?

Spring "Money Can Also Be The Root Of All Pleasures" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Maybe they thought you kneed the money Spring. Sorry I couldn't help it. I hope the knee is doing fine.

I would take the check to the bank and see if they will cash it. If it's good, depending on how you feel about the money, you can either pocket it or donate it to a favorite charity. Local animal shelters are always in kneed. I doubt that Juno is going to miss it either way, yuno? OK, I'll go egg a steak and quit the bad puns. :lol:

Gator

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Be wary and read all the fine print.

Years ago long distance companies used to send checks to you and if you cashed the check it authorized them to switch your service to them...it was a pre-reimbursement for the cost to switch to the new provider.

I have no reason to believe your situation would possibly be related, but as long as you read the fine print and are convinced that the check it legitimate, then enjoy your new money. Buy yourself something pretty.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I took the cautious route and shelved the check for a few days, and guess what... I just received a call from Juno saying they have been unsuccessful in trying to reach me for billing information and have stopped my internet services. If I wanted to I could have spoken to an account rep or have my name removed from their calling list. Obviously, I had my name removed and will now send the check to Shredder-Heaven.

Thanks for the advice.

Spring “Free Money Is Too Expensive For Me” Chicken