Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cajun Stuffed Chicken

Options
Chris Marksberry
Chris Marksberry Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We bought a Cajun style boneless chicken from Abe's Cajun in Houston. This chicken is stuffed with rice. I wonder how it would be done on the Egg without using any wood chips. I understand that would ruin the stuffing. Maybe better than following the oven instructions on the package? The instructions say to bake at 375 degrees F for about 1-1/4 hours or when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. [p]Chris in Pearland, TX

Comments

• Chris Marksberry, basically you can always follow oven instructions while using the BGE, and if you use chips or not I don't see how cooking it in the egg will be anything but an improvement.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Chet,[p]I agree completely. Once I started thinking of my egg as an oven, cooking got a whole lot easier and a lot more versatile.[p]John[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Chris Marksberry, in the interests of your health your instructions are right on all counts. Anytime you stuff a bird, ie: bread stuffings or rice base stuffing, make dang sure you hit 160 or above for the center of that stuffed cavity. Regardless of other body part temperatures. Better to go higher on the breast and thigh. The only thing I would do is lower the dome temp to 350 and give the bird a longer cook to get the penetration.
    Just here for the grins.
    C~W[p]

• thats a heckuva good way of explaining that Woo! good thinking! i'll just refer to my nearest Betty Crocker book!
    hee hee! ho ho! ha ha! dixeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee