Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite version of Mr. Toads Pork Loin

Options
smokeydrew
smokeydrew Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just tried Mr. Toads pork loin, and it was excellent. My wife didn't want fig preserves, so I substituted appricot preserves. I then used dried appricots and apples as the fruit filling along w/ cashews.[p]I am going to cook 2 of these this weekend, and I want to try a different variation for 1 of the loins. Does anyone have a recommendation about some other flavors to try?[p]Thanks,
smokeydrew

Comments

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    smokeydrew,[p] One of my family's favorite side dishes for pork loin is applesauce with a good dose of cinnamon. So I tried an apple butter and cashew filling on the pork loin and it was a really good hit with everyone.[p]John
  • smokeydrew,[p]As far as a filling goes, how bout:[p]walnuts, goat cheese, and spinach[p]
  • EggMaster
    Options
    smokeydrew,
    I tried a pork loin stuffed with breakfast sausage. You roll the sausage into a log freeze it for a while then insert it into the loin. Rubbed loin down with Dizzy Dust .
    It was probally the best pork loin I ever ate. I will link some pics. I also have taken a loin and sliced it until I have a 1/4" thick sheet spread black olive spread(sp? tapenade) roll back up wrap with some bacon tie with cooking string and smoke with some apple/jack daniels chips or your favorite. I get tired of using fruit all the time.
    Happy Q'ing.

• smokeydrew,
    Try a bread/garlic/onion stuffing seasoned with either Italian herbs or a sage/thyme blend. Moisten with a little egg and a splash of white wine; toasted pine nuts are a good addition, too.
    Cheers,
    G.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    smokeydrew,
    Tomorrow I'm putting a mixture of toasted pine nuts, chopped dried apricots and dried cranberries together with a splash of sherry to make a workable paste. We cook this at 325 over a drip pan without using bacon strips. The loin is brined for 5 hours prior to stuffing and tying. Outstanding.

• smokeydrew
    Options
    Now the only problem is deciding which recipes to try. They all sound so good that I've decided to try 2 totally new recipes. I have no doubt all of the recipes will turn out great.
    -smokeydrew

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    smokeydrew,
    Been on the road so I adding my $.02 a little late, but...[p]soak crazins in port wine for a few hours (longer the better) stuff pork with fresh spinach, thin garlic slices the port soaked crazins, coursly chopped pecans and blue cheese crumbles. Cook to desired coneness. Yum!!! Joe

• smokeydrew
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    Wow, I'm sold. This will definitely be one of the loins.[p]Thanks,
    smokeydrew

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    smokeydrew,
    Glad to hear it. It's a favorite around our house. Let us know how it turns out. Joe