Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How does your garden grow

Options
Petunia
Petunia Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Future food pictures so not exactly off topic. First some pics of my tomatillas. Looks like we'll be canning them this summer.
CIMG2623.JPG
CIMG2628.JPG
What happens when tomato plants take steroids.
CIMG2633.JPG
CIMG2632.JPG
Looking forward to canning this summer and enjoying the fruits of our labors all winter long.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I've never grown tomatillas but I know how great a difference there is in the taste of home grown tomatoes and store bought. Is the same true of tomatillas? -RP
  • Petunia
    Options
    This is our first year growing our own so I will let you know in a couple of months. A few years ago it was hard to find them in the stores but now that Mexican cooking has become so popular you can find them most anywhere. The problem is finding go ones. They still aren't a high volume item around here so they tend to sit in the stores awhile.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Yes. We got a great yield of homegrown ones last year, and I planted twice as many to make and can fresh salsa verde this summer.

Nice tomatoes for this early. I just have a few little green ones on the vine so far in Boston.

-John
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    thanks for the photos - i almost planted tomatillos this spring - a "must do" next year

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    we have 6 regular tomato plants in containers and Friday we picked our first ripe one - DELICIOUS! We had another that we wanted to let vine ripen one or two more days and wouldn't you know it some #$%^ coon got under the bird netting and beat us to it! So the score is tied 1 and 1.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Petunia
    Options
    This one plus two others were already on the plant when I got it from the greenhouse. Like you I mainly have small green ones and tons of blossoms. Can't hardly wait to egg some bacon for BLTs.