Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Skirt Steak - direct on coals????

JM3JM3 Posts: 272
edited 9:09PM in EggHead Forum
I got some skirt steaks on sale last night at Wally World. Thought I had seen something about doing them direct on the coals.[p]I have the hair dryer ready. How long? Nuke temps I assume? Should I marinade at all or just do some salt/pepper or some Red Eye Express?[p]
John

·

Comments

• JM3,
    You should pound the meat and marinate it overnight. After that, sear at high temps like any other steak, but no dwell is needed.[p]Below is a favorite of mine,
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Cinco de Mayo Fajitas[/ul]
    ·
  • JM3,[p]You are talking about a dirty steak, page 194 in Raichlen's book Beer-Can chicken and 74 other OffBeat recipes.
    ·
  • JM3,
    Be careful using Red Eye w/ a high temp cook as the sugar in it can burn.

·
  • JM3,[p]Me thinks yah ought to at least use the cooking grate. Me thinks the lump will look a little funny clinging between the fangs when you are done munching. But then, some fang floss would take care of that!

·
  • jrterrier,
    Actually, the lump doesn't really stick to the meat. If a piece does adhere, it knocks right off. Alton Brown did this in is episode of Good Eats, "Raising The Steaks". I've tried it and it works great. I have to laugh about it because everytime I've heard someone say they were going to try this, they also said they had a backup plan in case it ruined the steaks. I had a backup plan, too! So far, no one has posted that they had to use the backup. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
    ·