Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Baked Bread

DMurf
DMurf Posts: 481
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A couple of years ago I got a recipe for No Knead Bread, it was very tasty and easy to make but who wants to heat up the kitchen during the summer. Doing a google search I found this recipe for No Knead Bread, http://www.breadtopia.com/basic-no-knead-method/

Here is a photo of the dough after sitting on the counter in my kitchen for 18 hours:
18hours.jpg

Placed the dough on the pizza stone at 500 degrees:
GoingOn.jpg

I placed a metal mixing bowl over the dough for the first 45 minutes, helps to slow down the browning. This is a photo after I have removed the bowl and lower the temp down to 450 degrees:
LoweringTemp.jpg

Pulled and cooling:
BreadDone.jpg
David
BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Also you can go to http://www,terrywords.com and click on Recipes. Terry (and his helpers) made 14 loaves at the recent Eggs by the Bay Eggfest. You will note he uses a dutch oven in the Egg.
    Needless to say, the bread was scarffed up as fast as he put it out. AND, he won first place in the People's Choice Awards.
  • EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    Why rice uncooked? Just a barrier?
  • DMurf
    The recipe that I used calls for a Dutch Oven also, the reason is to simulate a brick oven. The Egg is a big ceramic brick oven, yea for me!

This is a hearty crusted bread, if I had not taken the bowl off the bread or pulled the bread a little sooner the crust would have been more tender. As it stands it is delicious and I was thinking how good a piece of brie would be with it, or use it with a hearty soup or stew. Hmmmm, now I am thinking, four smaller rounds to be used as bread bowls! A new project is born.
    David
  • Morro Bay Rich
    I figure that acts as a spacer to insure the bottom of the loaf does not get over dark (i.e. burned). I have to say that none of the loaves that they cooked were burnt on the bottom.
  • DMurf
    I used corn meal on my pizza stone, the rice serves the same purpose a barrier between the dough and the cooking surface that way it does not stick. I also use corn meal when I do pizza on the stone.
    David
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Do as Terry did at the Eggs by the Bay Eggfest .... put a lot of butter on it and no one would even notice any flaws. :woohoo:
    I guess one could figure it kind of like eating snails; put on enough butter and garlic and people will eat an old shoe. :laugh: :laugh:
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    nice work
    mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    David, your No Knead bread looks delicious. :) I have yet to make a no knead loaf, but hope to soon.
  • DMurf
    The recipe I linked to takes literally minutes to prepare. Two simple folds are all that is needed at the end of the rest period the let it rise for another 1.5 hours. I fired up my Egg about 30 minutes before the rise was complete and had a stable 500 degrees with the platesetter and pizza stone ready to go.

We also used it for roast beef sandwiches today with a roast I did on the Egg, sorry no pictures they disappeared to quickly. There are a few things that take me back in time and the smell of fresh baked bread is one of those.
    David
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    all that needs is a pound of room temperature butta......tear off a hunk, swipe the butta and repeat.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.