Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Chuffing

JasonATI
JasonATI Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not sure how else to describe it, I went out to check the temp and the egg would have no smoke then it would puff out of the top and bottom vent about once a second. The temp was at about 350 so I opened the lid about an inch so I could see if I could get it to stop and it back flashed and singed the hair on my hand. What causes it to do this?

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    air flow... remember where bottom vent is set, open it wide open, use a "wiggle rod" to clear the holes in the fire grate, and return bottom vent to original setting.
    Kent Madison MS
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    The egg was starving for air flow and when you opened it that one inch air rushed in and you got a flash back. That can burn a lot of hair of very quickly. Burp it 2-4 times next time and that will help. Also get a wiggle rod to open the holes in the fire grate.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JasonATI
    Before I use it I always pull out all the lump, vacuum it out, even the holes in the airbox, then vacuum the bottom out.
  • Jupiter Jim
    How long had you been cooking when you opened the lid?
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JasonATI
    About an hour, and after it did that it was fine.
  • Jupiter Jim
    I think the air flow was blocked and after the back flash the force of it cleared the holes and problem solved. It happened to me a long time ago and never since then. I now have long welders glove and I always put them on if I think it will flash back at me. Hope I have helped.
    Jupiter Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    You can have conditions conducive to flashback simply by having fresh lump with pieces that don't allow enough air to flow through the fire itself. If the combustible gases that come off of fresh lump are able to accumulate faster than they can be burned due to low airflow, when you open the lid, in goes a rush of air and you get the flashback.

Personally, I don't recommend burping since it is hard on gaskets. You get mini-flashbacks that are extremely hot as the burning gases exit the cooker between the gaskets. I open the vents and let the air flow in for 10 seconds or so and then slowly open the lid.
    The Naked Whiz
  • JasonATI
    Thanks, all of this was very helpful.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    JasonATI wrote:
    Before I use it I always pull out all the lump, vacuum it out, even the holes in the airbox, then vacuum the bottom out.

Seriously? My eggs are lucky if the old lump gets stirred!! If I felt I had to do all that before I cooked, they would become expensive flower pots!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JasonATI
    I can clean it out in under 10 minutes, and then I don't have to worry about it going out in a long cook. I thought most of the things I've read said to clean before cooks.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Well, I do sorta clean it before long cooks. Ash tool to rmv the ash and put some larger lump in first. I draw the line at vacuming though. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut