Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Butt's in the Cooler--Too Long?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Smoked a 10 lb. Boston Butt in the Egg last night, using the BBQ Guru for the first time on an overnight cook. Outstanding!!! I egged it at 225 degrees to an internal temp of 200. I figured it would take about 18-20 hours, but it finished after 15.5 hours, so I pulled it off the Egg, let it rest 15 minutes or so, wrapped it in heavy duty foil, then in a towel and put it into a cooler, where it is currently sitting. My question is: Will it be OK to let it sit there wrapped up and in the cooler for what will probably be another 5-6 hours, or do we need to pull it, refrigerate it, then heat it up? Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• bigmikej
    Options
    Jerr,
    I would keep it in the cooler. I have kept them wrapped as you have described for 6 hours with no loss of quality. As a saftey precaution, heat your oven up to 225-250 and check the heat retention of the butt about 1-1.5 hours before pulling. You can always throw it in the oven to warm it back up. I have frozen whole cooked butts and thawed in the frig and then reheated in a 250 oven and it turned out great.

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    Jerr,
    You can probably get away with keeping it in there, depending on how well insulated the cooler is. Alternatively, you could keep it wrapped in the foil in a low oven, set between 150-175. The meat shouldn't dry out if well wrapped in the foil. [p]I personally would go ahead and pull it and get that out of the way, then refrigerate the pulled meat. You can then just reheat what you need. Use indirect heat like a double boiler, and sauce the meat while it's heating up.[p]The Guru will also function in a "keep warm" mode, although that's probably a waste of fuel if you're awake and in a position to get the roast out of the cooker when it reaches its target temp.[p]Bob

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Jerr, thats another use for firebricks when you use them in the cooker for a barrier. You can wrap those in foil, lay on some towel in the chest, add the double foil wrapped meats, and lay towel over them.
    You will be good for long time as the meat continues to self cook. The only real problem is it may get overtenderized.
    You heard it from Char-Woody... smile, polishing my image here.
    C~W[p]

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Jerr,
    Pack in newspaper until the cooler is full. Fill up all the air space.

• Jerr,[p]Pre-heat the cooler by dumping some hot water into it for a few minutesm then drain.
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I don't think that image ever dulled over here; just missed. Glad to see ya here.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Marvin, My apples been getting a few worm holes lately..or were they bullets..heeeyaaa. But I am like a shadow, bullet proof.
    Thanks for the upbeat, made me day.
    Cheers aplenty atcha..
    C~W[p]