Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butts 2 ways

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My sons and DIL are visiting for the weekend. Asked if they wanted some Egged food while they were here. Wibs, pulled pork, and Cuban pork was the answer from one. The other said that will work but I would like some authentic Mexican.

Authentic Mexican was Friday night at a little hole in the wall family owned restaurant - gotta know where it is y solamente habla espanol.

Wibs yesterday

Pork today.

I think I fried my probe on my Digi Q during cleanup after yesterday's wibs so I went native on the butts.

Cuban on the left
IMG_2472800x600.jpg

Pulled - Mojo sauce with the Cuban and Blues Hog Tennessee Red with the usual
IMG_2501800x600.jpg

I went for the Cuban plated with beans, family rice dish used for years, and fried yuca.
IMG_2505800x600.jpg

Comments

• Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    Frank,
    Can you explain how you prepare your cuban pork roast?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Here it is - my son and bride's favorite. I found this on the web somewhere (likely Food Network) and modified to pulled temps. The original recipe was for sliced pork. We have made it several times.

Mojo Marinated Pork
    Ingredients
    4 1/2 cups fresh orange juice, divided
    1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice, divided
    Zest of 1 orange
    Zest of 1 lime
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
    1/2 cup garlic, coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 bone-in pork shoulder (about 4 to 6-pounds), trimmed of excess fat
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine 4 cups of the orange juice, 1 cup of the lime juice, zest and garlic in a large saucepan over high heat and reduce to 2 cups.
    Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining orange juice, lime juice, oregano and olive oil.
    Let cool to room temperature.

Marinate the pork roast in the refrigerator over night
    Remove the pork from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
    Place roast and marinade in a pan
    Add fresh ground black pepper to taste
    Cook at dome temp of 250 until internal temperature of 195-200
    Occasionally baste with the juices in the pan
    Wrap with HDAF and place in a cooler for an hour or so
    Pull and enjoy with Mojo dipping sauce

Mojo Dipping Sauce:
    8 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 serrano chiles, chopped
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
    Salt
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Using a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic, serrano, cilantro and a few pinches of salt until it becomes a paste. Add the orange juice, lime juice and oil and stir to combine.

making the mojo dipping sauce
    IMG_0338800x600.jpg

IMG_0346800x600.jpg
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    Thanks, I foresee that being bumped to the top of the to-cook list.
  • Vincent Chase
    Options
    Great looking cook - especially like the fried yucca. A friend of mine from Panama made it for me last year and they were addicting. I think frying them is the best way to eat them because I've also had them mashed and thought they were kind of waxy and bland on its own. Thinking out loud here, I bet planked mashed yucca would be really great. Or even par-boiling the yucca, hitting it with some smoke (probably cold smoking), then frying for a smokey yucca fry.. mmm... I'm gonna try that!
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    We tried simply grilling yuca yesterday morning and they came out tough. Took the grilled yuca and fried it and it was better. The last batch was boiled then fried - that was the best. It seems that boiling first is a must or the texture just doesn't work.

I'm going to eggsperiment as well

1) I'm going to try boiled then smoked
    2) Boiled, smoked, then fried

Then kick it up a notch and boil some with Zatarain's crab boil, then smoke and fry.
  • Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Options
    Very interesting recipe. I'm definitely going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Frank, how could you just take one? You are so disciplined! :laugh: I would have to have some of each.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Very nice Frank!! Sounds like a great time with family!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE