Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Dogs

Options
Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this seems like a novice question but I have to do a bunch of hot dogs for kids today. What is the perfect way to do that on the EGG? Thanks everyone and happy 4th

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Just grill them direct until they have the amount of color you want. If you want to leave the lid open while you're cooking, close the bottom vent to keep the fire from getting too hot. -RP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

A long time ago I saw a post from madmax where he and some others were cooking pearls on the mini. They put some surface slices in the top and bottom of the tube steaks to allow the smoke aroma penetrate into the meat. That made a big difference and I have done it that way ever since.

I use a raised grid (or low lump level). About 350° until I like the looks. Usually 7 to 14 minutes with some rotating of the grid and turning of the dogs.

I say tube steaks because that's how good they come out.

If you want to kick it up a little make a sauce,
    1 part ketchup
    1 part mayo
    You want a nice (more pink than red) mix.

Let the kids give it a taste, I will bet they will love it.

Now if you to jazz that up a little more add a small amount of sweet pickle relish - this will make a McDonald's Big Mac Special Sauce. Add the relish to taste but I am thinking 1/4 to 1/2 part - go small at first as the relish can easily take over the flavor.

Don't forget the cheese.

Have fun with the kids, they will love them.

GG
  • Bubba's dad
    Options
    thanks Grandpa - have a great 4th
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    I save my cruddy lump (the stuff from the bottom of the bags) for hot dogs and put it in my fire pit. Give the kids or adults a stick and let them go at it.
  • Bubba's dad
    Options