Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A couple of questions before first lo and slo

Big Jim
Big Jim Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Eggsperts, I am ready for my 1st lo and slo cook. I've read many of the post here, and have learned a lot. My butcher is having a sale this weekend. So Thurs I will pick up 2 ~8 lb. pork butts to cook Fri night. [p]My first question is about wood chunks. I have cherry and apple. I know apple will be great, but does anyone have any thoughts about cherry? [p]Second question is about what to put in the drip pan. I have cooked several times on an offset smoker and would use different liquids to help keep the meat moist, but do I need liquid with the egg? The egg seems to retain moisture very well by its self.[p]My butcher will also have his Kobe Beef briskets for $1.99/lb, so I getting one of those bad boys to cook Monday.[p]I can't wait to get started. Thanks in advance for the help.[p]Jim

Comments

• BigJim,
    I have used apple before with good results. I would stick to one wood for your first cook. Combine in later cooks to see if you like the flavor combo.[p]As far as drip pans, I have done both liquid and no liquid. I have not seen a difference in results between the 2 methods. Both times the drip pan ended up with a solid crust after 20+ hours.[p]Good luck with the low and slow ...

• Smoked Signals,[p]I put the beer in just to make me feel better. I like sharing a beer with my egg while we're starting a cook.
  • Mark Backer, Can one cook without a beer or 6 in hand? I am afraid changing that part of the recipe could really mess things up.[p]
  • Smoked Signals, Thanks for the feed back. I love the taste of pork with apple wood smoke, but I am also anxious to try the cherry. I may do that with the brisket on Monday.[p]Jim

• BigJim,[p]Not only can you, but you absolutely should. [p]My favorite post recently was from an Egger when we were discussing the merits of using a fan to speed up the fire building process. This party, who shall remain nameless, said that not only doesn't he use a fan to facilitate more drinking time, but if the fire gets going too soon, he'll partially close the bottom vent, shrug his shoulders to the wife as to why it's taking so long, and continue enjoying his liquid refreshment whilst he tends to his slowly growing fire.[p]Two thumbs up to that. [p]Actually, at my house, the wife will sit on the deck with me while the fire grows. she usally sits in a regular chair and not the little tykes furniture like me, but still...
  • Mark Backer, I saw that post, and I thought "a man after my own heart". After all barbecuing is an event not a task. So enjoy the moment.
  • BigJim,[p]If this is real Kobe beef for $1.99 a pound I will happily pay for airfreight for all you can buy, or drive up to 500 miles from Washington, D.C.
  • clausenk,[p]Check to be sure it's not Kobe Bryant beef. If it is, it's probably gonna be busy in court for a while.
  • clausenk, It's not from Kobe Japan, but it is from the Wagyu cow. The meat is raised at Strube Ranch. The briskets are usually about $4.50 per lb, but they are having a special this weekend. I have gotten these before and they always came out great(very easy to cook and alway tender & tasty). [p]I did did get a Wagyu tenderloin filet for last birthday and it was probably the best steak I've ever had. Paired it with a 1997 Napa Cab Sav, man what a meal.[p]Let me know if you are interested, because this place does ship. I sent my brother in Richmond, Va some of his jalapeno suasage. It was pretty reasonable.

• BigJim,
    I would be interested in any information you could give regarding the Kobe beef from your butcher. Thanks in advance, Mark from Utah

• Mark Backer, OK !!! You win !!! BEST FORUM post of the YEAR !! :)

• Mark fro Utah, No prob! Below is a link to his web site, I hope it works.

[ul][li]Henry's Butcher Block[/ul]
  • Mark Backer,[p]Or not.
  • BigJim,[p]How else do you time things if not by beers? I don't need no stinking timer or thermometer. Fire is ready after a slow beer. Turn the chicken after a regular beer. Chug a light beer to turn a burger. When the case is empty the brisket and butt are done. [p]