Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I need an Egg??

Options
Ragsman
Ragsman Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, my old brinkman gas water smoker died today.... I've been looking at these eggs and browsing this forum for a while. I might just have to take the plunge![p]I live in North Georgia, and I was thinking about maybe getting one of those $500 large egg setups they sell at the octoberfest. Is that a good way to go, maybe? What other stuff do I need that isn't included in that package deal?[p]Thanks![p]

Comments

• Marine Cook
    Options
    Ragsman,[p]That's pretty much it except for a plate setter and maybe a pizza stone. It comes with everything else you need. You wont be disapointed and that's a great price.[p]Semper Fi,[p]MC
  • PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    Ragsman,[p]In a word, YES. You need an egg, and you can't go wrong on the Eggtoberfest demos. They will have only been used on that Saturday and then one is yours. Take it home and enjoy - steaks, chops, roasts, chickens, turkeys, pizza, fish of all kinds, veggies, ABT's, pies, pulled pork and brisket to only mention a few of the things you can do and do well on the egg. You will definitely need a platesetter for indirect cooking and a pizza stone if you plan to do pizza. Get some lump charcoal, and off you go to the wonderful world of Eggdom. You won't regret it.[p]Paul

• Ragsman,[p]Well, no. There are many other great cookers that cannot be mentioned on this forum. But it sounds as if you've already answered your own question.[p]Lee
  • Without you one of them lucky folks that someone gives an EGG to I don't think you gonna get a better deal. Take in the Eggtoberfest and see what you can do with it once back home. We carried four up to Dillard a few weeks ago and they cooked great in the mountains.
    Hope to see you at the Eggfest.
    Poppasam

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Lee...[p]Perhaps and egg could even improve your attitude :~)[p]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Bob,[p]Didn't you know that Lee's been an egger for years? [p]All of her positive posts have to add up to something. :~)[p]John

[ul][li]Clickee Here[/ul]
    1044 Posts: 93
    Options
    Ragsman,
    Need? NEED? In the words of that great orator, Tina Turner, "What's need got to do with it?"

• Joder
    Joder Posts: 57
    Options
    Ragsman,
    Yes, you need an Egg.
    Joder

• The Virginian
    Options
    Ragsman,
    Gotta get some personalized Lawn Ranger tools to go with it. The gridlifter is key, and some customized handles as well. He posts on this forum all the time. Check it out at http://www.lawnrangerbbq.com/ [p]Brett

• Ragsman, yes you need a ceramic cooker, the high and low temps you can achieve makes using one the most sensible option out there. It allows you to cook pulled pork and steak and everything in between. After many months of participation in this forum I have concluded that contrary to what I use to believe, the BGE cooker is a great addition to this forum and not the other way around. Yes you may indeed need a BGE, but there are other ceramic cookers, just not any that has a forum with this kind of participation.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Ragsman,[p]Well, let's see, you ask the big green egg forum if you need an egg............ hhhmmmmmmmmmm.
    Coming from this egg owner and advocate of ceramic cooking, my reply is no, you don't need an egg. You could move up from your ECB to a WSM and probably be quite happy with that..... or you could step down and cook out of a hole in the ground and feel like you're getting back to your roots. :~)[p]Like Chet alluded, what you get with your egg is this forum and all of the wonderful and goofy folks who will bend over backwards with every conceivable answer to your questions along with step by step instructions for every cook imaginable on this cooker...... not to mention scads of photos and commentary, most good some bad some irrelevant but all entertainingly eggheaded.
    You can think of this board as a 24 hour, 7 days a week, 365 days a year egger support team.[p]You will also get friendsips. On top of the scores of folks who you'll inevitably get to know through this forum, you're likely to make a few personal friends.
    In my 3 years here I can easily name a dozen people that I can call good and dear friends...... folks I trust, can rely on and treat me like family..... all through this forum.[p]You also get the annual eggfests that are springing up all over the country. A time to meet, eat drink, make merry, get goofy and put a face to all the forum regulars and newbies and possibly solidify a few lifelong friendships.
    And who knows what will happen and what you'll find at these gatherings...... at my first eggfest I met Nature Boy and Qfan and at Chris's prompting, the Dizzy Pig BBQ Team was born...... at my 2nd eggfest I won a mini egg...... at my 3rd eggfest, I made even more friends and ate too much and Chris won a mini.[p]Most importantly, what you get with the egg is a company that stands behind it's product with a lifetime warranty and solid customer service.[p]With all of these things combined, I don't know where you'll find another product like this.[p]So, yes, those $500 large egg setups they sell at the eggtoberfest are a good way to go and all of the other stuff you may need will be sold there with plenty of folks to help you decide what your basics to get you started..... on top of that you will have scores of eggsperts demonstrating countless cooks and showing you how to use your new egg. [p]Even if you decide on a different cooker, sign into the visitor profiles anyway, there are a lot of folks here who don't cook on an egg but regularly contribute and make this place work and a real community.[p]Cuppa Joe!
    John [p] [p][p]

• Grumpa
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]LOL :~)[p]

• Ragsman
    Options
    Wow, what a great response![p]I'll convince the wife, then try to get down there and get one of those eggs! [p]Thanks ya'll![p]Ragsman

• Grumpa
    Options
    Ragsman,[p]Bring her to Eggtoberfest and she will need no further convencing :~)[p]

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Ragsman,
    Yep...if you're smart....and I trust that you are.[p]Mike