Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cutting Board Preperation

Love Handles
Love Handles Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend made me a cutting board yesterday. What kind of oil or prep. should I use on it. Thanks & See-Yaa

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    LoveHandles,
    This is the stuff I use and have been very happy with it....this is also just the first entry from google, you should shop it before buying. I dont remember where I got mine from...HTH[p]
    Wess

[ul][li]Mystery oil[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    LoveHandles, i oil mine once a month with mineral oil. any hardware store should carry it.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    LoveHandles,[p]I too use mineral oil to keep mine in good shape. Can be picked up in most drug stores or grocery stores in the drug section.[p]Fairly common inexpensive stuff.[p]
  • LoveHandles,
    When I received a commercial quality cutting board several years ago as a gift it gave the following instructions (from memory).[p]Every few months mix mineral oil and parafin wax together. Melt the wax into the mineral oil. Brush mixture onto board. After a minute or two it will dry to a haze. Take a spatula and scrape the waxy surface off.[p]This conditions the wood with the oil and helps seal the pores in the wood with the wax. Very simple to do and works great.

• clausenk
    clausenk Posts: 93
    LoveHandles,[p]John Boos, who makes high end cutting boards and blocks, makes a really nice oil, in the $5 - $6 range, if my memory serves me. I used it on cutting boards that I had neglected for literally decades of use and they perked right up.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    clausenk,
    Boos just got lucky with a deal with food network and now he is everywhere. His "magic oil" is mineral oil, get it at any drug or hardware store as has been suggested and save a ton of money and hassle.[p]And yes I don't like companies that take something super simple and make it seem like it's a golden new idea that deserves a premium price.

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    LoveHandles,[p]Another option is to use some freshly squeezed lemon juice and a couple pinches of salt. Rub it in. That's all that we do with our block. [p]Puj

• LoveHandles,We are lucky enough to live within 25 miles
    of Boos Block Factory in Effingham Ill. We buy quite a bit
    of the blocks that are seconds.We have a large screened porch And on it are 4 antique sewing machines that have a butcher block top. And then our prize and joy, a 5' piece
    that I built a table under, and in it is a Medium Egg and
    a mini Egg. We also have a second that fit our kitchen
    cabinets. We live in butcher block Heaven!!!! Even our kids have benefited. The seconds are cheap. I think the 5' one
    cost us $35. You cannot tell that they are seconds. And we do use the Mystery oil as well as mineral oil. Love them!!!

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Illinifan,[p]I travel through Effingham every couple of months. Where do you buy the seconds from? Do they have a factory outlet store there? Feel free to email me with the info. just remove the nospam. from the email listed in my profile.[p]Steve-B
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    LoveHandles, When I took wood shop several decades ago, we used regular veggie oil. I guess Mineral oil is fine, I used it alot for lubicating machinery in food processing plants