Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Egg

Options
Duckfat
Duckfat Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm just wondering if any one else has experienced a problem I am having with my large BGE. I have noticed for some time when I cook low and slow that I would get a puddle of moisture on my deck under the egg. I had thought the issue was that the humidity in a slow cook created condensation at the screen and it was running to the bottom and then dripping.
However this morning I noticed a larger puddle directly under the grill and realized the bottom of my egg is cracked.
I'm sure my neighbors appreciated seeing a short, fat bald guy rolling around on the deck at 5 am looking at the bottom of the egg upside down..... :laugh:
Has any one else had this issue?
Solutions?
Ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Assuming it was purchased from an authorized Egg dealer, it is warranted.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I have noticed that same issue, as a matter of fact I'm doing a brisket now and thereis a small puddle under the egg. Thought it was normal. Now I will have to check to see if I have a crack. :ohmy: :angry:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I am experiencing the short, fat, bald guy problem, but not the puddle/crack issue :P
    Sorry, I couldn't help myself :woohoo: :laugh:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    Mine's cracked across the entire bottom. No warranty.

Still holding up though.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Duckfat,

I had the same thing with one of my larges. I cleaned the egg out and took a picture and a new base was sent to me. Curious though. Is it in a nest? Does it look like the crack started at the corner of the lower vent and extended out across the middle of the bottom? I have seen a few pictures here of cracked bases and they have all looked the same.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Duckfat
    Duckfat Posts: 3
    Options
    HAHA I must be as twisted as the rest of you. :laugh: :unsure:

Back to the Egg.
    Steve, Mine is in a nest. The crack is on the opposite side the vent screen and does not extend over to the vent. The crack is hairline but about 6" long.
    I plan to take it apart tomorrow and I'll get some photos.

Dave
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Duckfat wrote:
    I'm sure my neighbors appreciated seeing a short, fat bald guy rolling around on the deck at 5 am looking at the bottom of the egg upside down.....

Sorry to hear about your crack (on the egg) - had to go back and edit that one. However, the mental picture was funny.

Call your dealer or BGE and get it taken care of under warranty. Unfortunately it happens once in a while.

GG
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    You aren't that short!!! :)

Glad you made it home.
  • Wahooegger
    Wahooegger Posts: 95
    Options
    After 8 years my large just suddenly cracked all the way across the bottom. Called HQ and they put me in touch with a local dealer (mine had closed) who had me a new base within 2 weeks. Great cust service. Good luck.