Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple/Hickory/Pecan chunks

Options
GregC
GregC Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to use wood chunks instead of chips. If that is what you use where do you get it? Do you buy it or harvest it yourself?

Have a Happy 4th
B)

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    If you live on a farm with lots of trees: Harvest it.
    If you live in New York City: Buy it.
    :woohoo:
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Both. My Egg dealer sells bags of different woods, and you can often find hickory chunks at Home Depot in the BBQ section. I watch Craigslist for free wood in my area, and when I see a good tree, I'll go cut it up and haul it off. I use the branches and scrap from cutting turning blanks for smoking wood, and use some for firewood.

-John
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi Greg,

My local egg store sells both chips and chunks. Check around your town and see who carries them. I use chips for short cooks, and chunks for long cooks.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You can buy wood chunks on Amazon. Another great place is Hawgeyes on the web. Most stores that sell bbq stuff sell hickory and mesquite. BBQ's Galore used to sell a lot of different types, but they closed up shop in NC.
    The Naked Whiz
  • ouhutch
    ouhutch Posts: 25
    Options
    academy sport in our area has apple, pecan,and hickory chunks at a very reasonable price! Much more easy than harvesting your own. I have a good source on my place for oak hickory and pecan. I guess I'm just lazy and don't want to harvest and season.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Florida Grillin Girl wrote:
    Hi Greg,

My local egg store sells both chips and chunks. Check around your town and see who carries them. I use chips for short cooks, and chunks for long cooks.

Faith

Yeah that sucked. I loved that place. Went there all the time at Crossroads. Oh well. I still have some stuff left over that I bought when they were blowing off their stuff cheaper.

Try Lowes or HD. They have bags of hickory and such. Do you have a hardware store? True Value in the US has chunks and chips.

Run to the woods and find some!! Always fun.
  • GregC
    Options
    Well rule #1: measure your rib rack and make sure it's not too wide to cut the rib slabs in half, if you do and their tooshort they fall through. Thank goodness for aluminum foil, it ain't pretty but it works. Used it too "take up the slack".........lol :(
  • GregC
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions on where to find the wood chunks.
  • ozegg
    ozegg Posts: 50
    Options
    I brought some off ebay, and I live in Australia should be coming today it cleared through customs. heres the link
    http://cgi.ebay.com/6-wood-types-chunks-chip-smoker-smoking-smoke-BBQ-10lb-/200485409123?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eaddc9163

Stefan