Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can\'t get the egg hot?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello

I purchased a medium egg about 2 months ago, and have had little success with it. I have tried every variation of charcoal possible from just a little and a huge amount, almost to grill level. Doesn't seem to make a difference. 90% of the time I have used the egg, I can't get it past 300° F? I always have both vents wide open top and bottom. In fact I have never had to use the adjustable heat control vent to reduce the heat of my egg, because I can never get it hot, or keep it hot?

I have made sure that the ceramic rings are inserted correctly, meaning the hole aligns with the vent. And it does and always has in fact.

I use the little pressed fire starters to light the charcoal, as I am not interested in adding an electric experience with such a traditional way of cooking. So it I can help it, I do not want to use the electric starter.

I have tried moving the egg to different locations around my house, thinking that venting maybe an issue. No difference, still can't get it hot?

When it has worked ok, here is what I have to do. I have to remove ALL charcoal and both ceramic ring inserts, and clean out every bit of charcoal ash possible. Get it as clean as the day I bought it. Then put in a large amount of charcoal, about even with the bottom of the top ring. Then light it, and wait about one hour, and I have gotten it up to 625° F. It would stay at this temp for about 40 minutes then start cooling as the charcoal starts to burn down. Do other medium egg users have clean out their egg after every use? It seems like I should be able to just add extra charcoal, clean out any access ash from the bottom vent and be good to go?

So that is about all I can share with you wise egg heads, hopefully you can help. Maybe I am just doing something stupid, but I feel like I may have gotten a lemon of any egg? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank, Shane

Comments

• h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    I have a large but I'd guess same issues would exist. With a few months experience, the ONLY thing I don't see you mention that I have found can make a big difference, is use of a "pokin' stick". Depending on your lump, and yes even if you stir until all the ash and little bits fall through, you can very easily end up with lump occluding many if not all the holes in the ash grate. So whenever I see mine slow to rise, it's get out the poker, open the lower vent, and try to poke up gently through as many holes as I can find. This usually does the trick. Other thing is are you burying the starter blocks? I usually try to dig each of two a hole, light them, and then place some of the larger chunks over.

But for the above, I have no other ideas. If you cannot solve, I'd post your location and surely some experienced egger in the neighborhood would make a visit for a few beverages and diagnose!
  • schmeetex
    schmeetex Posts: 69
    Options
    Here's a trick that I use to get my egg up to 700+ in order to sear steaks. Take a hair dryer and blow hot air in the bottom vent with the lid down and the top vent wide open. Do this about 5 to 10 minutes after lighting. In less than a minute you'll see the temperature start rising very quickly. I usually let the fire spread for a couple more minutes and then give it another blast to get it really hot in less than 15 minutes total time.

I even have my own cheap hair dryer specifically for the egg now and will use this exclusively (over MEPPS, electric, chimney, etc...).

If the hair dryer doesn't work, then you've got something seriously wrong with your egg.

Let me know if it works.

SchmeeTex
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Don't give up! The medium egg is as good as any other size. Mine cooks just like the large.

The egg does have a little learning curve, it took me a little time to get the hang of it and I have heard the same thing from many others here on the forum. Air flow is the issue 90% of the time. It sounds like you have taken any and all precautions that you can with the egg. The brand of lump shouldn't be that much of a factor. It must be dry and I assume yours is, you are smart enough to have an egg, your smart enough to keep your lump dry. If the lump is to small it can restrict the air flow itself. Some people sort their lump by size and load the larger pieces first to maintain better air flow. I have to watch for all the dust and little pieces at the bottom of the bag. If I dump them in on top they too can strangle the air flow.
    A wiggle rod, a piece of stiff wire with a 90º bend in one end will let you reach in and poke the holes open in the lower grate should ash start to plug them up.
    I had similar problems when I first got my egg about a year and a half ago. Now they are distant memories. I can load my clean medium to the top of the fire ring and probably get 4 steak dinners out of it with no more then checking the ash level in the bottom. If it is high enough, more then half full, I clean it out. I use a MAPP torch as it is quick, taste less, odorless, and cheap, I don't imagine it has much to do with the actual temperature of the fire.

Good luck and don't get discouraged,

Gator

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I use a medium egg for my charcoal testing when I do the maximum temperature test. Yesterday afternoon, I had a firebowl full of charcoal burning at 1073 degrees, so no, I don't have any trouble. And I might add this is a medium sitting in a nest such that I cannot get the lower vent to open quite all the way. I'm not sure why you are having trouble.
    The Naked Whiz
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I have 2 mediums. If anything, my problems are the Eggs getting too hot.

Your experience with the full fire box of lump making a fire of above 600 in about an hour, and then cooling after 40 is a little slow getting to heat, and a little quick in dying down. However, it is not peculiar. Any fire above 600 consumes fuel very rapidly.

Not being able to get above 300 with the same amount of lump is really strange. Even with enough ash to half fill the cavity below the bottom metal grate, you should get 400.

There are only 2 things that I can imagine would cause such a problem. If either the lump and/or the Egg is damp, it can take a long while to dry out. One Thanksgiving, with both the Egg and the lump damp, it took me over 2 hours to break 200. But then it jumped to 400 in less than 10 minutes. Also, if all the lump is in little bits, just pieces 1/2" and under, the air flow will be so constricted that the fire will not be able to develop.

What is the rest of your interior set up? Are you always using a platesetter, or anything else that might absorb heat and/or limit air flow?

Also, try lighting in at least three places. When I used starter cubes, I would break 2 in half, and light all. Almost always had a 350+ fire in 25 min.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Shane, sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your medium egg. I have a medium and it is a little slower to come up to temp sometimes. I'm wondering if you are using charcoal briquettes and not lump charcoal, I'm not trying to insult you but if that is the case I think that could be your problem. Briquettes produce a lot of ash and ash will reduce air flow.
    Also are you lighting the lump in 3 locations.
    I also tend to fill with lump to the top of the fire ring, I’m sure I use more lump this way but I always can get the temps I want.
    My medium spends about half of the year in NC and my home is in a very wooded area with quite a bit of humidity and I have had lump get damp. Let me tell you damp lump is a bear to get much above 300. I now try to keep the lump dry.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    TNW, I have never used briquettes, will they get as hot as lump?
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Briquettes will burn very hot for a while, but the ash covers them and the ash insulates them and the heat goes down. But I've had briquettes up to 900 or so in my medium. I didn't watch to see what happened if I let it go for long, but I've graphed briquettes vs lump in a Weber Smokey Joe and you can see the briquette temp drop over time as the ash builds up.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    This may sound foolish, but:!
    There was someone on here a few months back with a similar problem and it turned out he was not using his fire grate at all, just dumping the lump down into the firebox. The grate has to be under the lump to provide an airway or your fire will soon be choked off.
    Just a possibility ;)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Thanks Jeremy, Have a great 4th and thanks for all your hard work.
    Jupiter Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Capt. Frank wrote:
    This may sound foolish, but:!
    There was someone on here a few months back with a similar problem and it turned out he was not using his fire grate at all, just dumping the lump down into the firebox. The grate has to be under the lump to provide an airway or your fire will soon be choked off.
    Just a possibility ;)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL

Good call. That could be a problem. If that isn't it, I'd try a different lump. Can't see how this stuff is a problem. Is it wet? Good luck with it. Your medium should kick butt.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hi Gator

Thanks for your suggestions. A couple of questions. What are you calling the top of the fire ring? Is that the joint where the the top ring sits on the base ring, where they meet - is that the top of the fire ring you are referring to? what is MAPP?

Thanks, Shane
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hi Jim

Thanks for your suggestions. I have only ever used GE lump charcoal, and it is always incredibly dry as I live in Flagstaff AZ. Could the 7300' elevation have anything to do with this problem?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Bingo! That is one problem, elevation. Thin air up that high. You are going to have some challenges but you might consider a small fan to be placed at the bottom to help move air into the egg. Just checking, you do have the charcoal grate at the bottom in place right?
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    might consider a guru or digiq
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi babaji

A MAPP torch at work . . .
    Lighting.gif
    The lower "ring" is the fire box that the charcoal grate sites on/in. The spacer like ring on top of the fire box is the fire ring. I often fill to the top of the fire ring but you don't have to.

A MAPP Torch is like a propane torch but can use Max Power Propylene Fuel that burns hotter and cleaner as well as upside down. Bernzomatic is the most common brand. Their torch page is HERE the fuel comes in a yellow tank. I like the Fat Boy tanks as they have a lower center of gravity and don't tip over as easily as the tall tanks. A tank of fuel will last a long, long time. Some people can get more then a year out of one tank. I might use a couple tanks in that time. The last time I bought gas Home Depot had the Fat Boys and Lowe's had the tall tanks. They both carry the torch. The torch I use is a TS8000 model and has plenty of heat for any size Egg. A MAPP torch will cause the charcoal to throw sparks. Be sure to wear eye protection. Even if just reading glasses and keep your eyes as averted as possible. Better safe then sorry. Mesquite charcoal can spark even more. This was some particularly active Mesquite lump I had just lit. It will quieten down soon.
    TEMP1A.jpg

OK, that funny looking thing in the bottom of my Egg is a Turbo Grate. I have never used a normal charcoal grate so I can't tell you which works better, the Turbo or the regular.

Gator

• Unknown
    Options
    Yes, charcoal grate has always been in place. I just reloaded the egg with big pieces of lump near the bottom. As well I am going to try to light it is 4 different places, which I have not been doing. I think this could make a difference.

Thanks for the suggestions, Shane