Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Pork Butt

Options
Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 5 lb pork butt that has been on my BGE for 6.5 hours and the internal temp is 160. I have been cooking it at a temp of about 225. How much longer do you think I have? What do I do when it is done cooking on the egg if I want to eat it tomorrow? Thanks

Comments

• jpEGG
    jpEGG Posts: 61
    Options
    It could sit in a plateau for a few hours. It will eventually come out of it and increase in internal temp. When it gets to 200 degrees, pull off the egg, wrap in foil, then towels and let rest for a couple of hours in a cooler before pulling the pork. I've let them rest for up to five hours and they were still quite hot when pulled.
  • Bubba's dad
    Options
    When I wrap them can I put them in the fridge? Can I just leave them until the morning and then pull them?
  • jpEGG
    jpEGG Posts: 61
    Options
    I would pull when hot. Some people have a system for reheating an unpulled butt, but I'm not familiar with it. Assuming you have two, three or maybe more hours of cooking to go, I would take them off, do the cooler thing for four hours or so, then pull, bag and refrigerate. Just me, though. Maybe others have ideas.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Bubbas Dad....Where are you at on temp now, and what time do you plan to serve tomorrow??? Can't "hold" forever....just give me an idea please? Tks.
  • Bubba's dad
    Options
    I plan to serve at 1pm pacific time. I just checked it and it is 160 and has been on for 8 hours? What do you think?
  • Little Chef
    Options
    I think you are going to be done way early. Do me a favor please....if you have to "hold" the pork beyond a couple hours, wrap it super tight in foil and hold it in a 200* oven. Add a bit of juice to the package. It will be a bit overcooked/mushy, but you have no fears of making anybody ill.. If the pork is done within a couple hours of eating...hold it in a cooler, wrapped. But I wouldn't go longer than a 2 hour hold in a cooler. Much safer in the oven with a constant temp. Also understand, I am super anal when it comes to food holding. (see profile)
    On another note....it truly depends on the meat itself...it could fluctuate between 160-164 for a few hours, or one hour. That is an unknown factor until it happens...every butt is different.
    You'll do just great...just remember food safety. Kinda like the thankgiving turkey left out for hours :sick: ... You will be just fine, and the pork will be excellent!
  • Bubba's dad
    Options
    Thanks Little Chef -

Could I not just pull it when it is done tonight and reheat tomorrow or is that a "sin"? What is the benefit of wrapping in foil and putting it in a cooler? How is that different then putting it in the fridge?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I suspect it will be done in 4 hours. 1.5 hours per pound it will be done in less than 10 hours.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Bubbas Dad...Frankly, I would feel far better if you pulled it, and chilled it QUICKLY, and reheated to 165*. It is far safer.
    If you choose to take this route, don't cover the pulled pork unless it is cool. You can reheat tomorrow under foil with cola, or apple juice as moisture under a good foil cover. Bring the internal temp of the meat back to 165 on the reheat before serving, and you are good to go!!
  • Bubba's dad
    Options
    Thanks Little Chef,

So you say I can pull it tonight, chill, and reheat tomorrow? I think it is going to be a long night. It has been 8.5 hours for this boneless pork. I thought it would take far less than that. Although, I just had a little nibble and I think I could eat it all right now.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    LOL!! What is your internal temp now? Nibbles are good!! And absolutely you can pull it tonight and reheat tomorrow. I think you may have started a bit too early, but then again, they can come back to bite you, and sit in the plateau far longer than anticipated as well!!! You will totally get the hang of this in no time, but butts are still butts....and they all behave a bit different! Even this cook...the plateau may take hours. What is your dome temp?
  • Bubba's dad
    Options
    Internal temp 160 - Egg temp is 240. Keep in my my new digital thermometer comes in the mail this week so I am using a cheap glass thermometer. Kind of looks like one my mom would take my temp using when I was 2 :)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Bubbas...You still have a few hours to go. Set your alarm for 3-4 hours....get a snooze. ;) Just don't allow yourself to shut the alarm off....lol
  • Bubba's dad
    Options
    I guess I just didn't think it was going to take that long. I read of people smoking their 10 lbs butts for 10 or 11 hours and just thought that my 5 pounder would take half that time. I just ordered a thermapen - do you like those?
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Thermapens ROCK! Best investment you will make. And they have fantastic customer service. Seriously. A thermapen will not help you in a low and slow like this, but all your short cooks, they are the best!
    Funny thing with butts....some of the longest cooks are the smallest butts.
    You can bump your temp to 250-270 without worries. Just make sure you don't fall asleep for long. Once it comes out of the plateau (right around 160...which is where you are at)....they can finish quickly. Or, let it ride where it is at....I would guess another 3-4 hours to finish. (next time, do a couple 9 pounders...lol...lot more yield, a lot less work...lol) I know, makes no sense, but it is true.
  • Bubba's dad
    Options
    I am glad I made a good investment!!!! Why would the thermapen not work for the butt? Wouldn't it be good to be using now to check the temp quickly? Bye the way, where are you located?
  • Bubba's dad
    Options
    Little Chef,

What do you think of the Digi q? How much does one cost?
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Bubbas...for a low n slow like this, it is definately better to have a probe thermometer. Just stick it in the meat, connect the wire, put the meat in the egg, and the display is outside. Believe it or not, I still am using a Pyrex probe thermo I got from Wally world about 4 years ago. Dont have to open the dome to know what is happening inside the egg. It cose a whopping $12 or so.
    We have the Digi Q....which we use for low and slows...but when making a rib roast or whatever, these cheapies, just to monitor meat temp, are great.
    With a low and slow like this....the thermapen can't be left in the egg. The probes can. But the thermapen can't be beat for more rapid cooks...steak, chicken, pork chops/tenderloins, etc. You will be very happy with your purchase.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Bubbas Dad...We LOVE our Digi Q, but read beyond. The Digi Q is something you can build to your needs. One egg..two eggs...small egg...XL egg, etc.... We have used a Digi for the last 5 years for low and slows only though. We went about 11 years controlling ourselves, which is a skill you may consider developing for a year or so. If you don't learn the egg from the "raw", or learn to control only with the Digi...your are a mess if you lose electricity. Or, if you think you will be doing a lot of overnighters, get it. It is well worth the sleep hours!!
    ps...We are in Florida.
  • Bubba's dad
    Options
    Thanks for all all the insight - I will let you know the results tomorrow. You have been a great help. What is your email? We are in Lynden WA which is in the very northwest corner of the US. Take care, God Bless, and Happy 4th

Cameron "Bubba's Dad"
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Bubbas Dad...Please check your email.