Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many apple wood chunks are needed?

Options
jawilson
jawilson Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks for the tips on the rub. I have one more question to ask. I am working on building my fire now and I am wondering how many apple wood chunks would you add for a 7lb butt cook?

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    A few. Personal preference after you do it a few times.
    Good luck!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    They have been a forum member since 2008......
  • jawilson
    Options
    Yep. I have been a member since 2008. Sorry that it took me two years to get around to buying an Egg. I didn't know that questions could only be answered for those who had the funds to go out an buy the Egg when they first decided they want one. You think you could have answered my question in the time it took for you to check out my profile.
  • WessB
    Options
    I honestly figured in 2 years you might have taken a little time to read the forum..or at least research you're purchase ahead of time...there is a search feature here..and there are plenty of users websites that offer extensive help..do a little leg work..oh yeah..and welcome to the forum..
  • jawilson
    Options
    Tried to search. The search is not to friendly to the use of quotations. "how many wood chunks to use" does not return unique results.

Really if you want to pick fights instead of offer help, you should just f off.
  • WessB
    Options
    I don't pick fights..and have offered help on this forum for many years..and even provide my own website to provide eggers with advice and guidance...given the closing line of your last post..I don't think you fit the norm of the happy egging family...do a little research before asking a total newbie question...this is a forum..not the welfare department...
  • WessB
    Options
    Check your e mail..I'm sure Tweev, Mark 0525, and Boston Stoker have already sent you something...possibly MANY others as well...either way..what's done is done
  • jawilson
    Options
    How were your comments not confrontational?
  • WessB
    Options
    I didn't even reply to you directly....how can you take that as confrontational and tell me to F off...because you didn't feel like researching...
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    jawilson, most everyone has questions from time to time. I agree with you on the search function. It is horrible.

The amount of wood you use, really doesnt matter a whole lot honestly. If you use to much and it doesnt burn, use it the leftover the next time. If you dont use enough(or any at all) the food will still taste great.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Dear jawilson,

I think you've had an early run in with (one of) the forum asses -> WessB. Ignore him, most of us do. I would suggest that you 'report member' and request to have him sanctioned for him being such a d!ck.

Most people on the forum are extremely helpful. Others, (like Wess) tend to enjoy pushing new members around for some reason. I've never really understood it but for some reason some of the egg-nerds like to be bullies.

Seriously Wess, you could have answered his question easily OR just skipped his post. Do one of those next time will you? You're giving the forum a bad smell. Yeesh!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ooops, forgot to answer your question.

I like it smokey so last time i threw in 3 of red oak and some pecan chips -- good stuff. Not sure how much was not burned though. Bacchus was correct though, what isn't burned will be there for next time.

Shoulders are fun. Have a good time. :)
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    gee whiz!.... i use four or five for a big hunk of meat like that.... phew! rr