Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much rub is needed?

jawilson
jawilson Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have two 7lbs butts ready for the rub. I am thinking I might not have purchased enough Bad Byron's (one 4.5 oz container). Is that enough or no? If not what do you recommend I do on the short notice?

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    it might be time to experiment....divide the rub 1/3 and 2/3, load one butt heavy and the other light. see which one you like better for the future......heck maybe add some brown sogar to the light one too......if you are new to butts....play some before settling on your favorite....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    jawilson, I have BBBR and have only used it once. On the other hand there was a post on here the other day discussing Bad Bryons Butt Rub. The responses were divided some liked the rub and some didn't or used other rubs. As the post progressed some were saying how peppery the BBBR was and how they did not care for it. Well to make a long story short Byron himself replied to the post and suggested that you sprinkle the rub on sparingly and that you may like it better if you were to go easy and not pile it on. I have yet to try it again but you may want to go easy on it and adjust next time. Tim :)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I think expanding it by adding more ingredients is a great idea. Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Sugar(or brn sugar), even garlic powder or chili powder but no to much.
  • jawilson
    Thanks for the tips on adding trying to add different things to the rub. My question is how much volume of total rub would expect two 7lb butts to need?
  • 2Fategghead
    jawilson, Just two days ago I used around 4 oz of rub on this butt. That includes all 6 sides and I put it on heavy. I would say you be the judge you and your family and friends will be eating it. Four oz on my one butt was quite a bit but, I love a sweet rub with turbinado sugar. Tim ;)

000_2213.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    Thank you Roll Tide I saved it this time. Tim
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Alot of the rub comes off, and when shredded up it all mixes well. Just do like a previous poster advised and do 1 with a little and 1 with more then you decide...I personally like a heavy coat of Butt Rub but the ole lady thinks it's too spicy!!! :blink:
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • jawilson
    Thanks for the tips on adding trying to add different things to the rub. My question is how much volume of total rub would expect two 7lb butts to need?