Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs - Resting Question

Options
Harris Buck
Harris Buck Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Curious if it makes a difference to foil or not for the rest. Any big difference as far as taste/tenderness if we are ready to eat when done?

Thanks for any insight.

We usually rest about 20-30 minutes.

Comments

• brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    Options
    I am getting ready to smoke some ribs also. I noramlly cover mine with sauce, seal in foil and leave on the egg with vents closed for another hours. It normally makes them fall off the bone as the sauce runs down through.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Grr. Now I want ribs. Those look good.

For what it's worth, I serve ribs right after pulling them off the Egg. No long rest like I do with butts or brisket.

-John
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I rest maybe 5-15 minutes, sometimes not at all. I never foil and rarely do I sauce anymore. I personally hate fall off the bone ribs, reminds me of boiled ass ribs Chicago "bbq" places pass off as good food.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I just take em off cut em up and try to hold off the masses. The last part doesn't ever work. ;)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    I have foiled before, but I don't anymore for regulat bb's or spares. It just doesn't seem to do much for me. the only time I foil anymore is if I am making a maple syrup, honey, apple juice, etc...glaze that I sometimes do to mix things up.
  • Day-Day
    Day-Day Posts: 1
    Options
    After about 3.5 hours at 220 degrees, I take off when the meat is drawing back from the exposed ends of the bones. I season with dry seasoning or with bar-BQ sauce, wrap in foil, and place in empty ice chest for about an hour. I don't know how much the resting and addtional cooking in the ice chest helps, but the meat pulls easily away from the bone and is very moist.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of wet ribs and rarely use sauce when eating ribs. So if you like wet ribs, I'm not the person to ask about cooking them. I like to let the meat, the smoke and the rub flavor the cook.

I cooked 3 racks of baby backs yesterday for 4 hours at about 250 dome temp and wrapped them in foil and let them rest in an ice chest for about an hour before we ate them. I believe the rest time allows the meat to continue to cook and lets the juices re-distribute.

Everyone has their favorite way to cook ribs and there's nothing wrong with any of them. The members of this forum are very knowledgeable, helpful and a great bunch of folks.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    NIIIIICCCCCEEEEE!!!!! Had to wipe drool off my monitor. My favorites, .....well almost I like anything off the BGE Thanks for the photos
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Test out the different ways and judge fer yourself....I personally cook, wrap, then throw on the grill fer another hour... ;)
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!