Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Changing out the gasket

Options
MerlinEgger
MerlinEgger Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does it help to get the old gasket off to build a nuke fire and then scrape it off? I need a good cleaning anyway and thought I could toast it good and not worry about the gasket. Kill two birds with one stone. Thoughts......

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    had to replace my gasket a few months ago, don't know if a hot fire would help much. when it comes down to it and you start to clean off the area where the gasket is, it is going to come down to elbow grease or power tools. just try and clean it better than you would anything else, its your baby.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    MerlinEgger,[p]Well, it worked for me. After 5 years of cooking, collecting grease and the dome closing for the ten thousandth time and compacting the felt , the gasket was as hard and slick as a brick.
    One inadvertent thermonuclear burn and all those years of tender loving priming turned it to dust....... which made for very easy cleaning and for a very clean egg.[p]I removed the dome, took a sharpened putty knife to easily remove the last of the debris, then a sanding disk on the drill to get the fine stuff, then finally alcohol dampened terry cloth to clean the surface until the cloth came up clean.
    After that, the felt gasket took about 5 minutes to install...... probably an hour total for the whole thing.[p]John[p]