Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planning 1st firing of Egg & questions bout 'cessories

Options
Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, about to take the plunge and go buy accessories for my new gift that I recieved yesterday. Thought about the nest, but, for only 30.00 more they have a table at the store, already built, so will definately get that. Auto lock band...should I purchase? Slide metal top...is this something I need? Give me some opinions as to what to buy, please. Also, I think for my first firing...I'm going to go for a whole tirloin tip roast. Tips/ideas/recipe? Much thanks!

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Sandi,[p]No help on the sirloin tip roast though I would love to try one myself. As far as the accessories, I have a nest and an ash tool, thats it. I do have the locking bands as well, would recommend them. I've never had a slide daisy top but have toyed with getting one for awhile and decided not to. I use a firebrick on the chimney as my upper damper control and it works perfect for me. Some people even cook with no top at all. Cooking styles vary a LOT as you'll see. The ash tool is invaluable to me, I use it to stir the coals before I start a fire and to remove the ash from the bottom. Other than that, fire that dude up and go for it. Others will undoubtedly give you a ton of advice on the tip roast, I would warn you about temp control though, that thing will get HOT quickly and it would be a shame to burn a bit hunk of meat like that. For starters, once the fire gets going in my egg, I can hold 300 degrees all day with my bottom damper open about an eigth to a quarter of an inch, thats it. Also, start shutting the damper down as the fire gets going, not once its reached its temp. Its much easier to control the fire on the way up than to try and cool one down. So, at 200 or so, if you're shooting for 300, start to shut the bottom damper to 1/3 open, then at 250 shut it to where you think the setting should be, it will settle out, then make SMALL adjustments up or down from there. You'll learn from experience but this will make the first cook a much more enjoyable one rather than having to deal with a 700 degree blast furnace. Good luck and keep us informed,[p]Troy
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Sandi,
    If you're talking about an autolock band, I assume that you have a medium or a large. I don't have one but I've used it and it allows you to open the dome wider. I'm used to the old style but some think it's better than sliced bread.[p]If your gift didn't have a dome thermometer on it that should be your number 1 priority. It is essential so that you can get the full benefit of the Egg with a high degree of confidence. The number 2 priority should be the slide daisy wheel.[p]Other neat accessories are the grill gripper, the grill extender or a second grill (a Weber 18" works well for the large Egg), and a pizza stone. If you get the pizza stone and not the place setter, you will need some fire bricks to elevate a second grill (to get the stone up to the lip of the bottom of the Egg).[p]If you don't already have a metal drip pan, 9x13 inches, that is a good thing to have. The aluminum ones just can't handle the weight. The V-rack is essential for some of the roasts, hams and turkeys you'll be cooking. The ones BGE sells are made for each other.[p]Char Broil makes a neat wok for grilling that has holes in it for small things that might otherwise fall through the grill. It's only about $10.[p]And last but certainly not least is a Polder thermometer. It is essential to know the internal temperature of the meat so you can pull it when it's done.[p]This is a long laundry list and I have added my toys over time. It makes it easier on the wallet that way, or seems to. I hope this helps.
    JimW

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    JimW, well said, I cannot add a thing except I got a set of steel cake pans with a small bread rack from the $ Dollar Stores for about $2.98 and they do well.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Sandi, ooops,,your gonna have to light it, so check down the threads to Patrick from Minnesota's fire starting post. You will get the drift there and if not clear, then ask here again. :-)
    Never use a liquid fire propellant like charcoal starter fluid. Bad news!!
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Sandi,[p]I would get:[p]dome thermometer
    ash tool
    slide daisy top
    Webber firecubes (small white things)
    the wood cart if you have the room
    something to get the grid out (I don't use the gripper)[p]That's all you really need to do many things. Other really important tools are:[p]V rack
    fish grid
    Polder thermometer
    pizza stone (not a cheep 1/2' one either buy BGE brand)
    firebricks or plate setter[p]
    Tim

• Sandi
    Sandi Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks all for your help. ust got back from the grill store and the following is what I ended up getting: Was gonna buy the table but since I'm in construction one of my co-workers is off happily making me one. I got the grate gripper, cover, polder thermometer Slide top, ash tool,electric lighter, vert. roaster (2) 2 v-racks, drip pan. They did not have the pizza stones...should be in shortly. Thanks again for all of your help! What a wonderful bunch...can't wait till I'm as smart as ya'll about this thing!
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Sandi, there are free printable plans available for all sizes of BGE's if you wish to use them..Check the home page and look under accessories. You will find a short note, BGE Table Plans..Click on it. I think this will get you there, if not we will make a reference clicker for you.
    Good Luck...C~W[p]

• Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 44
    Options
    Sandi,
    ok, if you do that sirloin tip roast u were talking about, crank that puppy up to about 700 and sear the roast about 60 seconds on each side, then pull the temp down to about 300 and cook the rest of the time. use a meat thermometer to grill it to your liking. it will melt in your mouth i tell ya. Jim