Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Someone tried to steal my egg of our back porch

Options
Superbike 29
Superbike 29 Posts: 11
edited November -1 in Off Topic
So I get up Saturday morning to let the boxers out before making breakfast for everyone on the egg as I do every weekend. I always walk out and admire the egg as I'm standing there waiting on the dogs to finish up. When low and behold my egg is off it's fee and about 1' away from them. Now I just have my egg setting on our concrete patio as I'm working on a table for it. It seems that someone thought they needed my egg more than I did and attemped to carry it off until they realized it was as heavy as it was.

Now I have to figure out how to keep it on "lock down" until the table is done. I chained it to my gas grill, propane bottle and ran the chain through the hinge and padlocked it as tight as I could next to the hinge so they couldn't get to the bolts.

I guess I'm going to have to start putting it in the garage and pulling everything out when we want to grill.

&!*#ing thieves.

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi Superbike

First of all, Welcome to the forum! Second, this sure makes a lousy first post! Awful happy they didn't get your Egg. Your Boxers must be sound sleepers, maybe you need to chain them to the Egg as well. ;)

I don't know if you have found it yet but one of our beloved members Grandpas Grub has compiled a great and helpful post called Where to Start: Tips, Links & Useful Information. It is a great resource and worthy of bookmarking.

Again, Welcome to the forum,

Gator

• Superbike 29
    Options
    It is a lousy first post and I’m sorry. I’ve lurked for a while and after the theft of my egg, I thought I’d post.

Thanks for the link, I’ve read it a few times already and go back to it for things here and there.

The bad part, is the boxers are rescue dogs and my male who is full grown is a huge pansy. Very loving but not a very strong guard sense. My female is only 4 months old so she doesn’t know what a trespasser is yet.

Now, I’ve got to try and figure out what to do to the egg to prevent it from leaving until I get the table finished.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

No need to apologize for the post, who better to understand than another BGE owner. It could be worse, you could have done what I did with my first Egg. I brought it home and dropped it in the driveway taking it out of the car. Never got the first fire built in it. I cried for a week I think. Man, talk about depressed! LOL. Glad the pups have been rescued, hope to see photos of them someday. As you probably well know we are soft on pictures of pets and kids around here. Oh ya, and food too. :lol:

Gator

• Schwadamaga
    Options
    That sucks! I hope you have good luck chaining it down. I few years back pre BGE I had a grill chained down so nobody could take it. Some bikers ended up using it while I was at work. I found out because they left the cover off and the gas on after they were done.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Just don't make your table too portable - they might find it even easier to swipe! I've seen some lawn service dudes with low slung equipment trailers that tilt and load very quickly!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Superbike 29
    Options
    I've got about another 2-3 days of work on my stainless steel table before it's finished. It's not going to be portable at all unless 3-4 people want to carry it off. I'll add some wheels to it after our new house is finished.