Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I may have bitten off more than I can chew...

Options
pissclams
pissclams Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up my meat today for the 4th and ended up with a 15lb packer and a 10lb butt :ohmy:

Two issues, the brisket is wagyu and I've been told they cook faster than regular briskets, so i'm going to anticipate ~1 1/4 hrs per pound which would mean it will go ~19 hrs.

The butt is bone in and I'm figuring 2 hrs/lb for 20.

I went to Home Depot and picked up a few 10 inch bolts that I'll use to extend my regular grill extender up higher than normal so I can jam that big packer over a brick and onto my BGE large surface. The butt hopefully will fit on top of my rigged top grill. :huh:

Wish me luck and any advice would be appreciated.

Cooking @ ~240-250 dome.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Don't bite off more than you can chew. :) Both can be foiled, towled and in a cooler for 4 hours. Cook early.
    Mike
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Good for you for biting off more than you can chaw on!! Growth is good!!
    Check out Dan in Stl's post.
    No worries....trust the egg.. B)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    My guess...they'll both cook faster than you anticipate.

Keep us posted and take pics...good luck.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    pissclams, I am looking forward to seeing pics!
  • pissclams
    Options
    Thanks all. When it comes to smoking on my egg my philosophy is go big or go home! It's not let me down yet...

I'm not worried about the butt as much as I am the brisket, I've read that wagyu can cook faster than an hour a pound so I just am flying blind.

I've got pictures of the meat out of the cryovac before rub, after rub and will continue to document this smoke throughout.
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    You can pass some of the Wagyu this way - I'll gladly chew it for ya! :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    It'll all cook when it cooks, ya know?...you know!! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Nice. I like the way you cook. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

(I'd cook the brisket over the butt, but that's just me)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I'm thinking 19 hours is off the mark. I've read a lot of posts from Jim Minion on wagyu and I always thought 45 minutes a pound for the cooking was a good guess. Most folks rest them 2 or 3 hours.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • pissclams
    Options
    thirdeye wrote:
    I'm thinking 19 hours is off the mark. I've read a lot of posts from Jim Minion on wagyu and I always thought 45 minutes a pound for the cooking was a good guess. Most folks rest them 2 or 3 hours.
    thanks thirdeye, i'll plan on an hour a pound and see where it goes.

worse case scenario it gets done way early and after i throw it in the cooler if the party still isn't started then i'll throw it in the fridge and cut it later.

i would go brisket over butt if i could but this thing's tip is huge. from flat through tip is probably 9 inches in thickness. there's no way i could fit it up top.

for anyone interested in trying one, i drove up to Paradise Meats and picked it up-
    http://www.paradisemeats.com/

they do deliver :woohoo:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    I'd love to see a pic of your rig for this. I'm also planning on doing a brisket and a butt - starting them on Saturday evening/night and serving them around 5:00 - 6:00 on Sunday. I'm cooking for about 15 people, so I'm thinking I can get by with medium sized cuts of meat and I'm hoping I can fit them both side by side instead of having to rig something up for one on top of the other.

Thanks, and good luck on your cook.