Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Charcoal???

Options
Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new egg owner:

What do you all think about Cowboy Charcoal? How does it compare to the Big Green Egg Charcoal? Thanks so much for any info you have.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Alot of folks dont like it, but I have used it a few times no complaints.
  • I've used it for a couple of years. It burns pretty hot so it is good for searing a steak. I've also used it for chicken, pork and fish with no complaints. Cowboy isn't as good for long, slow cooks. The BGE lump is better for the long, slow cooks; however, get the Royal Oak lump if you can. Royal Oak makes the BGE lump but costs less than half.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    If I am out of wicked good and baking something like breads or pies or things I do not want any smoke flavor and a long burn is not important, I love it :) plus that is about all we can gte up here with out driving an hour for BGE lump. but wicked good is my go to for everything
  • Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    Options
    My experience with Cowboy is that it burns hot and provides little if any smoke flavor (which can be a good thing). Some people are freaked out that it's made out of lumber scraps (UNTREATED lumber scraps) but I think that's just dumb.

Cowboy won't burn as long as many brands for low/slow smokes and uses some of the lightest weight hardwoods around, but it's cheap and works fine for most uses -- it's a particularly good grilling charcoal. I prefer Royal Oak from Wally World, which runs about the same price and is of better quality IMHO, but that might not be an option for you. Home Depots and Lowe's sell Cowboy (if they sell lump at all).
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    lighter weight, burns hotter faster, but not as long.

denser lump takes a little longe to get going, but lasts longer at high temps (and lpw, actually). but the lighter lumps like cowboy can be up and searing cleanly in fifteen minutes.

all lumps have their place. i'd say from lightest to dense you have 1.) cowboy 2.) royal oak(BGE) 3.) wicked good in that order.

cowboy is a collection of mixed hardwoods (maple and oak mostly, from what i can see). burns clean with light to very-light smoke. it is NOT made from construction debris. mill scraps, yes. but none of the wood is from prefinished wood, shows any nails, or any evidence of having been used in construction.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    for a long time i had no access to royal oak. cowboy burns as long as any low-and-slow cook might require. there's no issue with it on a low and slow in my experience. have gone 20+ hours or more when i needed to
  • Phrettbender
    Options
    I've used Cowboy for years and have no complaints at all. For me the Royal Oak pops too many embers out the air intake.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    when i could get it, i used it for my normal cooks and wicked good for my low and slow. now i buy royal oak from walmart or whatever brand george is carrying at grate grills at the time... now it's fire king or something like that.