Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porky Pig part 1

rzrrob
rzrrob Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
okay we are at minus 48 hours I will be cooking a whole hog starting staturday night for the 4th

Tonight a gave the Xl a good bath for the home coming of Porky and bought a new toy also

I will do my best to document the entire proccess from start to finish with plenty of pics,,,, also my hats of to Richard for all the help he has given me and the help he will be giving me on Sunday!!!

game plan for now is I will be picking Porky up on Saturday morning and he will hit the grill around midnight for a 12- 14 hour low and slow.. ( we will have to see the final weight of Porky once I pick him up)

tonight I did a few test set-ups on the Xl and i will let you know the final set up

right now it is no FR ,plate setter legs up ,two drip pans and Porky will put his feet up on a nice Vrack that i have not found yet. I look at one today at the BGE dealer looked small to me will look for a larger one in the am

016-1.jpg015-1.jpg015-1.jpg012.jpg010-1.jpg009-1.jpg

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Instead of a "V" rack, would a couple of fire bricks on each side wrapped in HDAF placed on the vertical on each side of the grid help hold Porky?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    If you want to I think you can hit the enter key after posting one pic and every pic there after. Then your pic's will show up one below the next. Now I don't want you to mess up your post so, I'm just sayin. Tim :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Should have told us earlier that you needed a rack. I'd a sent you mine. Thinking something can be rigged with things in your kitchen or man cave. Any thoughts on the changing of pans once they are full o hot fat? I'm hoping the best on this!! If you need any feedback let me/us know!!
    Godspeed! :):)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Molly, I wonder if a person could rig up a turkey baster to suck out the hot grease from the drip pans. :) Tim

I'll submit this reply if I can find the button. :woohoo:
  • rzrrob
    If the pans get full or when they do I'll pull the grease with a turkey B

I did 14 racks of bb and a 10 pound brisket and that was alot of grease on the ps but it did not effect the cook
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    My thought is, I think you are in for a suuuprise!! ;)
    I am batting for you though...and jealous B)
    Have fun!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I will be happy to take your LRC for a spin while you are concentrating on pig.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    12-14 hours?! I just took a 9.25 pound butt off my large after 16 hours @ 250°. It came off in pieces! Saved me some pullin' time. :lol:

Good luck though! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• rzrrob
    Well the good news is if it takes longer then 12 hours or so it will only be noon so even if it is 17 hours I'll serve for dinner instead of lunch

My 4th of July party runs all day so when it comes off we will pick the pig !,,,,, in the mean time i have burgers and dogs to supplement ,,,,,

Worse case pizza hut delivers lol ,,,, but this is not my first pig just first on the egg,,, I am sure the egg will not let me down
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Wassup with the gadgets??? :blink: COOK,BABY,COOK! :laugh:
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    Wow.

Please do follow up on this and post pictures, especially of how you position the oinker.

A few of us at work are planning on doing a whole hog this fall -- just because we have not done one before. We were planning on borrowing a cooker, but if I can use my XL, that would simplify things immensely. I was not eager to learn how to manage the fire on one of those large cookers on our first whole hog cook!

I think we eggers are spoiled when it comes to fire management, and I'd just as soon stay spoiled!

Don