Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I'm a virgin Brisket Smoker!!! Help

Bubba's dadBubba's dad Posts: 97
edited 7:05AM in EggHead Forum
I have never had Brisket before - this may because I live in the Pacific Northwest :) I tried to do a Brisket in my new egg. It was about 2.5 lbs and I smoked it at 225 degrees for about 4 hours. I know I know I need to get a meat thermometer - I just ordered it. I thought that it turned out a little dry. Is it supposed to fall apart like pulled pork or is the texture a little tougher. Please help me with this. Please give me anything you can
·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Stew,

I am no brisket expert but usually people do whole brisket with a bit of fat left. The point isn't sliced but cut into cubes for burnt ends. When a brisket is ready the meat will twist without any resistance on a fork. Meat grade matters too.
    Bubba Tim and Thirdeye have great info on their sites

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • fire eggerfire egger Posts: 1,124
    Hey Stew
    Briskets that smalll are difficult
    the thermometer is very important, makes life much easier.
    second, I am assuming you used a very small flat, try at least a 6 lb flat, I prefer whole packers. 9-10 lbs.

go to thirdeyes site, linked on your previous post, he has a lot of good info.

you can do it, take your time, learn and have fun
    ·
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    That was 1 small flat, try to get 6-7 lb flats or larger packers. Briskets are a tough cook. I would suggest foiling at some point like after 3 hours.

Mike
    ·
  • impag10impag10 Posts: 58
    anything need to be added once you wrap it in foil? sauce or anything like that? I am doing a 7LB flat this weekend
    ·
    I would suggest apple juice. 1/2 cup, double wrap in foil.

Mike
    ·
  • impag10impag10 Posts: 58
    thanks...always following your advice cuz your ribs are insane!
    ·
    Thx for the kind words.

Mike
    ·
  • Do you all baste your brisket while it is cooking? I was so disappointed about how it turned out today but I think I tried one that was too small? I will not give up.
    ·
    Basting is for smokers that don't retain heat and moisture.

Mike
    ·