Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wet platesetter

Options
Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was all excited about making pizzas on my Egg tonight. I cleaned it out, started up the fire, and then went to get my platesetter and pizza stone. Both are wet!

Now, they're not sopping wet. But they're partially sitting in the bottom of an outdoor cabinet that has about a cm of water in it.

Does this mean I shouldn't cook on them? Is the moisture content enough to compromise the pieces? That is, could they crack? Or am I safe to put them on the Egg?

If I can't put them on the Egg tonight, any special procedures to dry them out for next time?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    stickem in the egg & fire it up, that'll dry'm, cook away
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    If the egg hasn't gotten above 200 I would say put them in and dry em out..but close the vents down for the first little while so it doesn't creats steam...or slow the egg down and dry em in a warm oven....you just dont want to heat them up to fast..
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Thanks, Wess! It's great to see that awesome Eggers such as yourself are still here giving great, prompt advice year in and year out. I hope all is well with you and yours.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words..hope the pizzas come out well..
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    Hang on - what about storing the platesetter in a place that won't be wet? I am "storing" mine inside the BGE, since I really don't have any good place to keep it safe and clean and - you know - clean, since it is for food prep, you know?

When I am cooking and not using the 'setter, I put it on the shelf of the table, and never on a place where it can fall or get stepped on.

How did the pizza turn out? Pictures?

Cheers.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Mine reside on an outdoor table in the weather. Use them wet often.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Yeah, I leave mine on top of my old gasser. Rain / snow / dog spit don't seem to hurt them much. In terms of cleanliness, they're going into a fire. Not too worried about it.

-John