Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beer butt chicken in big green egg

Options
Scotty
Scotty Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i was given e big green egg .want to use tonight to cook a whole chicken (maybe beer can method ) how long does it take? how much charcoal? should I let it burn for a while before putting meat in?I don't know anything about this thing !!

Comments

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    scotty ,[p]Check out The Naked Whiz's Ceramic FAQ. I'll put a link at the bottom. Take a look in the recipe section while you are there and look at the spatchcocked chicken. I do this everytime instead of beer can style. You will find a ton of great info on your new BGE on his site.
    [ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Cermaic info and lump database[/ul]
  • scotty ,
    First: Use Lump Charcoal, not briquettes. Less ash production, longer burn time.
    Second: Prep the bird by rubbing it down in olive oil and then apply your favorite rub. Let sit in fridge for a minimum of a couple of hours.
    Third: Fill the firebox of the egg with lump. Start fire in the middle with an electric starter, fire starter cube(s), or a chiminey with newspaper. I prefer an electric element starter. While you are building the fire, take the chicken out of the fridge and let it come to room temp.
    Forth: once the fire is started close the egg. Be sure the bottom and top vents are open all the way and let the temp come up to 350. Once there, open the egg put your bird on. Cook indirect using a drip pan. The temp will drop when you do this. Leave the vents open and let temp return to 350. If you have a daisy wheel put it over the top with the five holes open.
    Fifth: Cook for 60-80 minutes. As the temp inches up over 350, adjust the vents. Manipulate the bottom vent then the top.
    You will notice that as the ceramic mass heats up you can close the vents signifigantly. You may wind up with the daisy wheel half open on the five holes and about a half to one inch on the bottom vent.
    Using an egg is an adventuresome art. You have to get to know your egg and how it responds. Lots of good information here. Check out the Naked Whiz and Tim M's websites for really great information.
    Good Cookin'

• Scotty
    Options
    Steve-B,
    thanks dude. i'm trying it tonight !! scotty

• Scotty
    Options
    SMOKIN' MIKE,
    thanks dude, one problem...don't have starter or chimney, can i use lighter fluid??

• scotty,
    Lighter fluid on lump charcoal is a NO-NO. Go to any store and get fire starter cubes.

• jrterrier
    Options
    scotty,[p]I use a #10 ( 3# coffee can ) size can with the top and bottom cut out of it. Put in two or three wadded up pieces of newspaper, add some lump into the can, poking some of it down into the newspaper. Leave a tab of each piece of newspaper sticking up like a wick. Light the wicks... allow to burn down, add more lump if needed. Pull can when you have a good amount of heat coming out of the can. Hold your hand over the top to see/feel for it. Spread the lump, add more over the top if needed. [p]This is an easy way to start it, and all you need is right there at home... if you have a large can. [p]Bonnie