Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Why the "Red Thermapen"

Steelers252006Steelers252006 Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This seems to be the favorite of some I've garnered. Is it an older model and preferred to the newer model, or is it just the color red that attracts certain individuals here? I'm going to get a Thermapen next month and want to know which one to get.
·

Comments

• deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,788
    the yellow one is better than the red one. don't be fooled. my dad has a red one and i have a yellow one and it's clear which is best.
    ·
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    :P I have an orange one and a green one... have not seen a red one, both times it was the luck of the draw for the color. I got them here on the forum.
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    LOL @ ds. I'm 99.9% sure there is no difference in the colors. Although I have noticed some boasting of "super fast red thermopens" on another forum.
    ·
  • Susan EgglaineSusan Egglaine Posts: 2,430
    Red is the way to go! ;) :laugh:
    ·
  • ibandaibanda Posts: 438
    Bacchus wrote:
    LOL @ ds. I'm 99.9% sure there is no difference in the colors. Although I have noticed some boasting of "super fast red thermopens" on another forum.

Don't fall for this! The red one is super fast!!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    ·
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,348
    I like the brighter colours as I'm less likely to leave it behind if I'm cookin' outside.
    ·
    Bacchus wrote:

oh, it's clear that one is yellow and one is red.
    ·
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    hmmm no I think the green one is the most user friendly for the egg... :whistle:
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Dang, I have a crappy black one. :P
    ·
  • AshmanAshman Posts: 375
    A red thermopen with a green egg? Sounds more like a frog in a blender!! My Black thermopen compliments the egg, not to mention is very slimming next to my XL EGG. ;)
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    I like my black one but truth be told I am left handed and have learned to read upside down. :ohmy: I could use my right hand but I think it's faster in my left. :whistle:
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,784
    Camo is the best.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Easier to find so you won't leave it out in the rain. ;)
    ·
  • hornhonkhornhonk Posts: 3,838
    My orange one may not be the fastest, but it smells good.
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Now your way off. :ermm: My black one smells like black licorice. yum yum :whistle:
    ·
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,716
    Mine is red only because that was the color the dealer had at the time. I really want one of the PINK ones (I am comfortable in my skin)
    ·
  • ZymeZyme Posts: 180
    The red one makes me look thinner. My wife also gets a little randy when she sees me checking the temps with my red thermapen. Also, I can drink more without getting drunk because of the red one.

Oh, and I thought maybe the red model was the water resistant, but really, it's the way it makes me look and feel :evil:
    ·
  • THATHA Posts: 183
    I had a blue one, but I painted it red and now it is better. Faster, too
    ·
  • Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Well, my gray one smells like a battleship. :P
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,635
    the red ones melt on a simmer plate, the batteries die on the old style green ones but are fine on my new green one, the orange style seems to last well enough :whistle:
    ·
  • CBBQCBBQ Posts: 610
    Would that be your femininity or masculinity you're comfortable with? LOL.
    ·
  • GrumpaGrumpa Posts: 861
    I have the orange one coming, everyone knows that orange is sexier than red and I needed all the help I can muster in that department :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    ·
  • LOL. Okay, my question is more than answered. Thanks for the good laughs. If they make a black and gold one, it will kick all the pink ones asses for sure at least.
    ·
  • thechief96thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Mine is red so it has to be the best ;)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
    ·
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,716
    let me get back to you on that one
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    I prefer they yellow or white one. That way if you drop it in the dark you can still see it..

Just get the one that suits you!!
    ·
    Celtic Wolf wrote:
    I prefer they yellow or white one. That way if you drop it in the dark you can still see it..

Just get the one that suits you!!

yep. the yellow one is easy to spot, besides being faster and more accurate.
    ·
  • Michael BMichael B Posts: 986
    No idea why. Of all the colors, red is the slowest.
    ·
  • CBBQCBBQ Posts: 610
    Yep. Because everytime I think I've found my orange one it ends up being the tape measure.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,784
    Ask them about black and gold (well, yellow anyway). Maybe they'll do it for you - just replace 1/2 the case. Seriously.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·