Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well, I did it!

Options
Dr_Redwine
Dr_Redwine Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Folks:
Today I bought myself a large BGE along with a plate setter, ash tool, and cover. I would have gotten a extended grid but alas they were sold out. Many thanks to those of you with suggestions on what to look for, initial needs and so forth. I've been addicted to this forum for a couple of months now and usually read all the posts each day. [p]As I write this, the 'new' is being coaxed out of my new addition with a fire I'm trying to get back down to 250 or so. Man, that thing does hold in the heat! I can assure you that valuable eggsperience has already been gained from this site. [p]DrR

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Dr_Redwine, well, congrats and welcome to the circle! If you've been reading for a while then you know about the initiation process of walking on burning lump coals, burning the hair off your forearms and eyebrows...but what you and your family get in return will be years of untold pleasure. Again, WELCOME Fellow Egger!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dr_Redwine
    Options
    RRP,
    I have gotten some good laughs from some of the posts. I forgot to mention watching the promo tape that came with the egg. Nise to put faces with the names. [p]Thanks for the welcome.[p]DrR

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    Dr_Redwine,Good to see you have joined one of the best pastimes! no a down right sub culture! I am a red wine lover so keep in mind that wine is part of the meal.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Dr_Redwine,
    actually that promo tape is rather old, but if you'll look back in the archives you'll find many posts shortly after the larger Eggfests and you'll see many of the Eastern and Southern posters. OTOH...TNW (at least used to) have a section on his wonderful website called the Rogue Gallery at which you could see many other folks. Not all of us regular posters are there either, but hey...we're all brothers in the Eggdom and all of us are minus forearm hair, eyebrows etc etc etc!
    BTW tomorrow night for the wifey and I it will be prime, aged New York strips plus lobster tails - all to make up for the crappy celebration supper last Friday at a local steakhouse in honor of our 38th wedding anniverary. When you want it done right...stay home and use a BGE!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dr_Redwine
    Options
    Jopa,
    I like it, too. My handle, however, comes from an obscure character in a Ferrol Sams novel. I really enjoy reading the posts and opinions, and yes, it is a subculture!![p]DrR

• Dr_Redwine
    Options
    RRP,
    I read that post the other day and totally understand. Congrats on 38; I celebrated that birthday on July 26...in West Yellowstone, MT. Ate a pretty good prime rib that night, too, now that you mention it. But I am itching to try one on the egg...as soon as I get this temperature thing down![p]DrR

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Dr_Redwine,
    Welcome to the fold. ;)
    This is an addiction you know, we all have been cooking and BS'ing here for years so now you will be sucked into the cult like so many others. :)[p]Congratulations on your purchase, you will not be sorry. If you can make an Eggfest, I most highly recommend it. It is a great time and you will meet a lot of really nice people to place faces/names on, and plus there is lots of great food to sample and learn the recipe for them.
    Go if you can, you won't be sorry I bet.
    later,
    Ron.

• Dr_Redwine
    Options
    ChefRD,
    I appreciate the welcome. A BGE is a significant investment, and I don't do too bad on a kettle ;) But after reading strings from folks who obviously know what they're talking about, I had to have one. [p]DrR

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Options
    Dr_Redwine,
    Welcome to Eggland! You are one smart doctor, choosing a large BGE. A little over 3 years ago, I did the same as you: Discovered this forum first, devoured as much of the vast knowledge as I could from this great forum, bought a large, and I'm as happy now about my decision as the day I bought it.[p]Congrats,
    Bob

• Dr_Redwine
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    I think I'm in good company.[p]DrR