Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland gasket fibers

Options

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Smitty,

That is why I love America. You are somewhat responsible for your own choices. In Canada, it would be somebody else's fault.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Unknown
    Options
    Steve, it is always someone else's fault, get with the program
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    that's all a liability stature....got rutland's on several of my eggs..if ingesting fiberglass was gonna kill ya the insulators unions would be screaming bloody murder...
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    CaCook...Don't be sorry. This debate will settle, and all will be more knowledgable about gasket materials as a result! B) This is good banter, with good info being shared.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    The insult in all this is people being warned off with hysteria from something that is fairly knowable with a little investigation
    Options
    Comes down to 'rutland has not been tested (and therefore isn't approved) for use around food

caveat emptor
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Kent...you are certainly entitled to your opinion and belief...but the statement.....
    I respect your comments, stike's comments and an "hand full of others", however, I am not sure if there is or is not any more experience or knowledge more or less than Bobby or Fred or BGE Service
    ...everyone of those names mentioned are bound by BGE contratcual obligiations...they are emplyoees of the company...they certainly can not disagree with a BGE legal liability publicly..which states....Rutland gaskets are not approved for use around food...this entire issue rests on liability..and no one wants there name on it..I'll keep using my rutland gaskets however...and eating food I drop on the floor..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

No, I quoted Fred's exact words, here is his post.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=799349&catid=1

"It is OK to be an authourity on most things but I really think you need to deal with facts."

Sorry you and others seem to think I feel I present myself as an authority. I am the first person to admit my limited knowledge.

When I personally test something or work something up, from the information I have seen I do present that information with the intent and hopes to be of help others. I am sure not under the delusion that I can impress anyone. Nor do I care to.

Other than personal enjoyment and making some casual friends there is nothing at all to gain in all this.

Kent
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Wess,

Five second rule :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Kent,

I have no doubt that Fred is the "greatest egghead ever". Now where did I hear that? Oh yeah...I remember. It is great to be the foremost authority on everything but I really think you need to check your sources. I don't want to pee on your parade but stop giving out bad information man!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

If you are all that concerned about folks being warned off, that issue is with BGE & Rutland.

After some back and forth emails with Doug and some initial responses Doug received from Rutland I hadn't brought the 'hysteria' up again.

The "hysteria" has only been brought up by you, your comment above and maybe 2 other people in the last year and a half to two years.

The insult is yours.

Kent
    Options
    Oy. Relax

i'm not insulting you. That is, unless you are easily insulted.

Found this, posted by Rutland themselves in response to many inquiries:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&feature=youtube_gdata
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

By any stretch of the imagination do I think Fred is the end all authority, on the other hand, I have never come across anything to show me he is a liar either.

You are not peeing on my parade. As for me giving out bad information, I don't.

I have posted links to everything I have said. Let's turn the table for a minute. Where is it said that Rutland is safe to use around food.

It really don't matter to me what people use for gasket material.

Kent
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Kent,

I don't have a horse in this race cause I don't really believe in gaskets all that much, however, you seem to be wanting to be the authority on everything lately and I disagree with some of the stuff you are putting out lately. Sorry.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I haven't had a good gasket on a couple of my eggs for years.

I still cook OKAY. :)

Mike
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mike,

Sorry,...don't want to be bitchy. Just getting to me where the advice is coming from lately.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    LC,

How do you stand on the 5 second rule? :laugh:
  • Ripnem
    Options
    That's universal. right? I mean bacteria and bad stuff moves slow, no? :lol:
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Wess,

I do that every time I have to touch 'itch'. :laugh:
  • El Jefe
    El Jefe Posts: 96
    Options
    I find it funny that BGE, who can't figure out how to stop theit *own* gasket issue, would lend an opinion on another product that actually does fill the gap that they can't.

:laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Ripnem....I am more a fan of the faucet at home!! I make sure all the fresh "ground spice" has been removed. Different story however in a resort or restaurant. Nothing that hits the floor there gets served (at least under my watch).
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I couldn't agree more Steve. Weighing in with strong conviction EVERY friggin TIME someone asks a question, and posting the same pictures over and again, is painful to witness. There is more than one knowledgeble person around here, and all others are humble enough to realize they don't know everything.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wow. When you guys smell blood you really gang up and go for it. I really like GGs posts and simply skip repeats I've seen before. The repeats are usually for the benefit of new members anyway. Regardless how many times have you defined "spatch ****"?? Yeeesh.
  • Unknown
    Options
    "Just my observation...still studying you guinea pigs from a distance" - not sure what you're referring to Smitty, if you read my reply you would note it did not address the Rutland gasket issue one way or another, I don't have one, nor do I know whether or not they are safe, nor do I care; rather, my reply simply pointed out that no 'liability' would attach to the Rutland Company merely if they were to discover through testing their gaskets are not food safe, that would be like saying GM would be 'liable' if I injured myself drinking transmission fluid out of a Chevy merely because they knew it was unsafe before hand
    Options
    now now. give the dude a break. i hate to say it, but the forum isn't (thankfully) a repository of indexed answers. which means we have a tendency to need to repeat answers over and over. anyone here a year or so maybe gets sick of seeing or hearing the same things over and over, but the new users don't know that.

i don't mind seeing the same pics over and over, because it's usually a relevant answer.

and though we all don't necessarily think we are "authorities", i think all of us are capable of making it sound like that in our answers. quick shorthand answers can seem like they imply "i am an authority". i try to qualify stuff when i reply, but more often than not i probably don't doesn't mean i think mine is the only answer, and i'm not sure GG means to imply that either.

...rutland discussion notwithstanding, of course ;)

i appreciate the dude. would hate to have him think that the banter and browbeating from last night meant he wasn't wanted here.
    Options
    yep. though usually human beings inflate the dangers of things they don't understand, and downplay the seriousness of those things they believe they understand.

seat belts, driving versus flying, etc. etc.

not a red herring, here, just another example. people will freak about potential fumes froim galvanized metal in the egg, but care nothing about the carbon monoxide. one of these can kill you, and is there every time you cook.

the same folks who wouldn't buy meat packaged with carbon monoxide (in order to keep it red longer) will happily cook their non-CO meat over a lump fire generating carbon monoxide in far greater amounts

as the whiz noted and as is clear from the safety info, the issue with fiberglass is mechanical, not chemical.
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Options
    Either way they mean you shouldn't use them.. You can hear what you want to hear, but the end game is the same.
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    Take it easy Bacchi ol' pal...

GG knows his shizzle... Why is everyone ganging up on the guy? It went from a disagreement on a gasket to scorched earth with all his posts.

You guys need to seriously f'in chill. You don't like his posts? Don't read 'em, as there are others who appreciate his help. In fact, most of you should actually go outside and get some sunlight. Too much forum and not enough cooking..
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    I love the argument: They haven't definitively said it's NOT safe, ergo we should use it until they do...

Such backwards logic.

You are splitting hairs..

What are you gonna do when they finally test it and say it's not safe? Are you going to look your family in the eye and say "sorry, but at least we had some good brisket right?"

the bottom line is there are 2 TESTED and APPROVED alternatives, so why take the chance? You can as the Whiz said, make your own decisions based on the informatnion, but:
    - You are not a chemical engineer
    - You do not have the facilities or the knowhow to test
    - You are a lay person when it comes to this stuff

So you are going to make a safety decision knowing full well you do not have the ability to understand the risk factors?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Everyone(well almost)is welcome here. IMO, the narcissism & self promotion by 2-3 members is just plain Fugly.