Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Black Gook

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As I use my Egg more and more, I notice a black gook that is coating the rim, the daisy wheel, and running down the back side of the Egg. What is the best way to clean this black, messy, sticky, stuff? Thanks. / Ron

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Ron Costello,
    Dawn Power Dissolver does a good job for initial clean-up. If you put the daisy wheel on the grill, as soon as you shut down, this will keep the "gook buildup" to a minimum.[p]Ken

• ScottB
    ScottB Posts: 3
    Options
    I've used Simple Green w/ good results.
  • BucsFanJim
    BucsFanJim Posts: 161
    Options
    Ron Costello,
    The black gook on the daisy wheel assy can be cleaned by doing the following:
    After your next T-rex or high temp cook, place the daisy wheel assy. inside the grill on your grate. With the top and bottom vents completely open, let the temp get up to 700 or above for a few minutes. Close the bottom vent and place the original ceramic lid that came with your Egg on top of the dome. Of course this will extinguish your fire.
    The next day remove the daisy wheel and brush lightly with a wire brush, if needed.
    You'll be amazed at how clean that gets it. [p]Thanks to whoever on this board told me about that.

• Charlie
    Charlie Posts: 29
    Options
    Ron Costello,
    Paint thinner.

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    Charlie,
    I would never put any solvents on the ceramic portion of my egg and would have to think long and hard about using them anywhere else. Putting the daisey wheel in the egg after cooking and while shutting down keeps it reasonably clean. As for the ceramics, a good TRex fire will cure most of what ails it.[p]Doc

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Ron Costello, well you've heard the burn method of cleaning Miss Daisey and remember that when she turns all rusty that you burnt off the paint. What I do instead protects the paint. Merely submerge Missy in a small plastic pail like an old 1 gal ice cream pail and pour in common household ammonia until she is completely covered. Cover the pail with Saran Wrap and let stand over night. In the morning while wearing rubber or plastic gloves and using a stiff brush rinse her under running water and even the worst crud will come off - but not the paint! As for the BGE neck itself I use a Rutland product which removes cresole from fire brick and it works great for me.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • willmw
    willmw Posts: 41
    Options
    Ron Costello,
    I use some of the Orange degreaser and a bit of scrubbing to get most of the gunk off the egg.